Sooo...what trannies should I avoid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Sooo...what trannies should I avoid?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Spaz_Soldier
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sooo...what trannies should I avoid?

So, my beautiful '01 XJ has had a lot of issues building up since it hit 200K and I haven't had the money to get them fixed, so we're going to have to put him down.

Moment of silence in his memory, if you please...

Now, after driving my brother's ZJ around for the last week, I want a V8 ZJ to build up. My question is this; Are all the trannies that came with the 5.2s junk or is it just certain ones? What am I looking for???

Thanks, y'alls!

P.S. It's been a while since I've been on. Glad to be back!

2001 Cherokee Sport, 5.5" Rubicon Express lift, Skyjacker shocks, 35" ProComp Xtreme MTs, custom painted American Racing wheels, Flowmaster exhaust, Bushwacker flares, Cobra CB, Herculined interior, Husky liners, Rusty's discos, removable doors, a few skids, K&N air filter, tow hooks
Spaz_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier View Post
So, my beautiful '01 XJ has had a lot of issues building up since it hit 200K and I haven't had the money to get them fixed, so we're going to have to put him down.

Moment of silence in his memory, if you please...

Now, after driving my brother's ZJ around for the last week, I want a V8 ZJ to build up. My question is this; Are all the trannies that came with the 5.2s junk or is it just certain ones? What am I looking for???

Thanks, y'alls!

P.S. It's been a while since I've been on. Glad to be back!
The 46RH (93-95 5.2L) and 46RE (98 5.9L) are decent in the ZJ application, especially with an aux. cooler. Neither of these transmissions are great, but they are full-sized truck transmissions designed for 6,000lb+ vehicles so they hold up pretty well in the 3,900lb ZJ (V8) simply because they are over-speced for the application (though they fail regularly in the Ram and full-sized vans). The 44RE in the 96-98 5.2L ZJ is the weakest ZJ V8 transmission. Of course all of these transmissions can have issues if the fluid wasn't changed regularly, and none of them are as reliable as the AW4 in the XJ.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Spaz_Soldier
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Cool. Thanks for the info. Is it hard swap in a 46RH in place of the 44RE? I love the interior look of the 96-98 ZJs. I found one near me for just under $3000 with $130k. Just need to think for the future, for when it does go bad.
2001 Cherokee Sport, 5.5" Rubicon Express lift, Skyjacker shocks, 35" ProComp Xtreme MTs, custom painted American Racing wheels, Flowmaster exhaust, Bushwacker flares, Cobra CB, Herculined interior, Husky liners, Rusty's discos, removable doors, a few skids, K&N air filter, tow hooks
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier View Post
Cool. Thanks for the info. Is it hard swap in a 46RH in place of the 44RE?
That's probably a good question to ask in the ZJ technical forum there are probably plenty of people that are familiar with this.

I'm guessing there would be no issues from a physical standpoint but there may be issues with the PCM since the 46RH is Hydraulically/mechanically controlled (hence the H) where as the 44RE is electronically controlled (hence the E), while I'm not super-familiar with the specifics of ZJs I would suspect that since the 44RE replaced the 46RH in ZJs with the 5.2L at the same time that they went to OBDII which meant a new PCM, it is likely the OBDII PCM is not compatible with non-electronic transmissions, at least as a direct swap.

I would imagine that a 46RE (same as the 46RH but electronically controlled) would probably be a direct swap since it is also electronically controlled and it was offered in the 98 ZJ with the 5.9L.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Spaz_Soldier
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Cool deal. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.