Some advice! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Some advice!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
92YJallmine
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Some advice!

Need some advice i have to replace tie rods all the way around but i think i need a drop pitman arm also due to the one that's on it i can see the some of the gears on the steering box. Is this needed or can i just replace tie rods and be good to go. Also there is a steering shock attached and was told it doesn't need to be there is this correct or is it ok to. I have included pictures of what i am talking about

forumrunner_20121118_103916.jpg

forumrunner_20121118_103931.jpg

92YJallmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does this jeep have a larger than 4" lift on it? If not then I believe the stock pitman is OK. BUT that nut is supposed to be tightened to 185 ft lbs. Yours looks a bit 'loose'.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
92YJallmine
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From what po says yes almost 6" total lift on it i got a wrench on nut and it is tight so maybe i do need that drop arm?
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92YJallmine View Post
From what po says yes almost 6" total lift on it i got a wrench on nut and it is tight so maybe i do need that drop arm?
How much of that is suspension lift? 4" or more and you need a drop pitman arm.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
92YJallmine
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure think there is a 2.5 bl but i aint completly sure bout it
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
...4" or more and you need a drop pitman arm.
No - it depends on the positioning of the track bar. Stock track bar brackets = no dropped pitman arm.
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
No - it depends on the positioning of the track bar. Stock track bar brackets = no dropped pitman arm.
That may vey well be true but check out his picture and note the spacing in that area? That looks like the space got 'created" by loosening the pitman arm to steering box bolt....a lot... and that is not safe.

Unread 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
That may vey well be true but check out his picture and note the spacing in that area? That looks like the space got 'created" by loosening the pitman arm to steering box bolt....a lot... and that is not safe.
That's got nothing to do with whether a dropped pitman arm is needed with a 4" lift.
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
That's got nothing to do with whether a dropped pitman arm is needed with a 4" lift.
Then do you think that the OP should simply tighten up that bolt holding the pitman arm to the steering box to the correct torque? It looks like it will rub the stabilizer bar if he does?

How about you tell the OP to make his rig safe and me, 'cause I want to learn, what you think is the problem and how can he fix it? You seem to have a lot more knowledge about lifts/suspension issues than I do.

Unread 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

The steering dampener isn't hurting anything so id say leave it. The angle on the tie rod looks a little steep. Search for factory arms that provide drop as opposed to ordering one with a certain drop that may be top much or top little. Do you have an sye in the back? I'm thinking you could decide how much lift by the other mods you have. I don't see you being 6" without an sye. Yjs ate a tad short on the wheelbase.
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Take a picture of the track bar bracket at the axle. With 4" or more of lift, 2 things are recommended: a) drill a new hole in the track bar mount; b) drop pitman arm. Do you have a torque wrench? If you do, and its adjustable, adjust it to 185 lbs, and attempt to tighten the nut. If not, try using an impact and give it a few whacks. Or, run to harbor freight and buy an torque wrench, relatively cheap, and a good tool to have.

That amount of space doesn't quite look right. Im not sure what he's talking about with hitting your steering stabilizer, as that would be almost impossible. The only clearance issue I see is with your sway bar, but there looks to be enough tolerance for you to be able to tighten that nut. Last thing you want is a pitman arm to come off while driving.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

He's leaf sprung, silly track bar shouldn't matter. Its the angles of the steering linkages that needs to be attended to. My yj doesn't even have the track bars on it.

I believe you're thinking of coil front like the tj, in which case the track bar should be in line with steering. He's in a different game being sua.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.