Smoke in Valve Cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Smoke in Valve Cover

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
1jovan2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Smoke in Valve Cover

I have a 87 yj with a 4.2. I just noticed recently that there is some smoke inside my valve cover after is been running for a few minutes. In the top of the valve cover there is pcv valve that seems to be alright. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and made sure the parts inside of it move. In the back of the valve cover there is a tube that goes under the car and ends at the muffler. The white smoke comes out here. Along with the steady stream of white smoke there is some foamy oil that drips out of the tube.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thank you for your replies.

1jovan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
1jovan2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I was just looking at possible problems and I stumbled onto this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/smoke-cab-1270208/ . If you look at the picture someone posted in that thread you might be able to help me. I have a carburetor that is almost the same as the one in the picture but my hoses are hooked up completely different. The hose in the back of the valve cover isn't connected to the carb. It just goes under the jeep and doesn't connect to anything. The hose in the front of the valve cover has my pcv valve and it connects to the carb just under where the air filter is at the front left side of the carb.

Does anyone have a link that shows how my carb should be hooked up?
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
CB10101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The hose at the back of the valve cover is a fresh air inlet to the crankcase ventilation. Usually attached to the aircleaner housing after the air filter. The pcv valve hose at the front attaches to vacuum so that it sucks the hot oil vapors out of your engine and back into the intake
CB10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
1jovan2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. The pcv valve was hooked up to the wrong spot on the carb.
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
91yjman

What would happen if it were backwards jw
91yjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
1jovan2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what you mean by backwards. The hose from the pcv was hooked up to the wrong spot on the carb. It wasn't getting suction because of that so the crankcase would build up pressure which caused oil to come out of the breather. It was also the cause of the smoke in the valve cover.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.