Skyjacker 4" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Skyjacker 4"

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Stochmal52
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker 4" spring alignment

Hey everyone, I got a '97 TJ with a D44 rear and a 4" Skyjacker lift. If anyone is familiar, than they know that the springs are obviously not straight up and down. There's a slight curve to them in the front and rear; front not as bad as the rear. So. Lightbulb went off the other day ... why not just cut and re-weld the upper cups of the rear springs back several inches until the springs are straight? Sounds good, right? Only issue is on the passenger side the track bar mount kinda prevents that perfect alignment. If there is anyone with a solution, aside from a different lift (budget reasons), please let me know. I'm in the process of uh ... reinventing her lol. I'm doing some major overhauling on the drivetrain, finally. I've looked at adjustable uppers, but then I'd need adjustable lowers and it moves the rear end back. Then we get into a whole bunch of nonsense and I might as well get a 3 or 4 link suspension (once more no can do because of money right now). Just looking for a relatively inexpensive fix for better performance in the woods. Anything will help!!

Stochmal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bowed rear springs are very common. Changing lifts wouldn't do anything about it. Lift kits a lot better than yours will have the same issue. Usually made worse by an SYE and double cardan driveshaft although those require adjustable rear arms to orient pinion and it doesn't sound like you have that. How you are running a 4" setupt without it and without having driveline vibes is an interesting question? For the most part the bow isn't a huge problem and most just live with it.

Some people do relocate the spring bucket though. If you search you'll find plenty of threads about it. It does require being creative with the trackbar mount. Here's a shot of mine from when it was done:

Unread 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Stochmal52
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks slick. Yeah, I got a guy who fabricates all sorts of stuff, so I'm gunna get with him and see what he can do for me. Thanks for the help man! Oh, and as for the lack of vibration ... your guess is as good as mine. It's a '97 TJ and I swapped out the D35 for a D44 several years ago. Had to get the driveshaft shortened and re-balanced. Never had an issue with vibrations. Just shimmies because the tires weren't properly balanced, or my current issue at around 40 MPH where I get a shimmy, but I think that's just because the tires are getting worn down and my steering stabilizer needs to be replaced. Guess I lucked out!
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Straightening the springs will give you more lift.

More lift could be the breaking point for driveline vibrations.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Stochmal52
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mmmm true. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the input man!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.