sifting gears/ hot engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > sifting gears/ hot engine

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
jbartoszek33

sifting gears/ hot engine

Ive changed the clutch in my 96 xj 3 months ago. It became near impossible to shift when hot stopped and now moving in all gears. Mechanic changed slave etc. Problem still there and 600 $ wasted. The only other option is to go into the tranny now and replace parts. Any really rough estimates on opening the tranny up and replacing parts? Whole tranny costs?
Ive read many threads saying how hot all xjs ride. If i started chipping away at ways to cool down my engine would that make a big difference in shifting? I AM A POOR XJ OWNER. ME NO LIKEY WATSE MONEY!

jbartoszek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Unfortunately trannys arent cheap. Look for single owner shops they are usually better at diagnosing.
Does it make a difference if you change rpms when you try to shift?
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and there's several ways too help the cooling system.
Is it running over 210?
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
jbartoszek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
Is it running over 210?
Ya, i guess the slower i go the harder it is. At its worst at a stop light Im practically hurting my hand shifting. I cant see my tranny being ready for the dump???
Thanks for a reply
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
jbartoszek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
Is it running over 210?
So are you saying by keeping my engine cool i could help things? My coolant is pretty murky:s
How do i check how hot its running? Ive had many vehicle and my xj runs hotter than all combined! Lol
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You don't have gauges I take it. Try installing at least a temp and oil pressure gauges or swap the dash cluster for one with gauges. I'm not 100% sure that cooling the engine will help shift in a stick.
If your coolant us bad flush it. Look on here for threads on cooling systems. Lots of good info
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
S1KPUPP
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What do you mean near impossible to shift are you grinding gears like the clutch isn't disengaging? or just wont go into gear? if it's the first you might have to do a job as simple as bleeding the clutch. a buddy of mine was having this same problem and he had to get a Mity-Vac and bleed it seemed to work fine afterwards
White Jeep Club #302
/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==@=)_)
S1KPUPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
jbartoszek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1KPUPP View Post
What do you mean near impossible to shift are you grinding gears like the clutch isn't disengaging? or just wont go into gear? if it's the first you might have to do a job as simple as bleeding the clutch. a buddy of mine was having this same problem and he had to get a Mity-Vac and bleed it seemed to work fine afterwards
Well was warm/hot my xj quickly becomes harder and harder to engage each gear ( when stopped this is far more extreme) at its worst its like there never was a slot to shift into ( near impossible). So much effort is needed to force the shifter into gear I can actually feel fatigue in my arm!
Also once hot/warm trying to engage reverse causes gears to grind.
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
S1KPUPP
1995 YJ Wrangler 

whats your fluids reading for the clutch? And have you tried bleeding it yet?
White Jeep Club #302
/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==@=)_)
S1KPUPP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.