Should I go full synthetic or part or regular oil with a 4.0L 103k miles? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-19-2003, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
TheJeepMan

Should I go full synthetic or part or regular oil with a 4.0L 103k miles?

Like the title says, I just bought an XJ with 103k miles (4.0L 93 Cherokee sport 5spd). I have always used synthetic on my Toyota's and Honda's with high miles, but I'm new to the Jeep's 4.0L engine. Will there be a prob with running Castrol Syntec blend with this many miles on the motor? What are everyones opinion on oil types for this Jeep? My concern is running a cleaner oil (synthetic) which could clean out the oil passages and in result cause the jeep to have some small oil leaks around gaskets and rubber and such. What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-19-2003, 04:12 PM
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

personally...I'd go with a good quality "normal" oil, and change it regularly...

you might try a blend if you wish, but unless the first 103K were with synthetics I probably wouldn't switch...for the same reason you mentioned (just worded a little different)...the synthetic won't "cause" any leaks, but it mind "find" some that were already there but clogged up...

I've never been a fan of synthetic motor oils, but I do like synthetic greases and gear lubes...

just my $.02...

Greg

2001 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition (details in Profile)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-19-2003, 04:27 PM
xxxflhrci

Use whatever was put in it by the previous owner. Whatever it was, it worked for 103k and kept the engine in good shape, right, or you wouldn't have bought it.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-20-2003, 03:10 PM
RTStork

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with BigWaylon. The syntheic might dissolve some sludge around the seals and then you could start leaking oil. Now, thats not necessarily a bad thing cause then you would know what seals, etc needs replacing, but its up to you. I use Amsoil synthetic in all my vehicles, but I've had them since they were new.

00 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L - 2" BB, 2"BL, 33's, 4.56 gears, Auburn in rear
Pics of my Jeep http://community.webshots.com/album/76582748MYTDqR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.