Shipped YJ, now drive shafts are spinning with no movement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Shipped YJ, now drive shafts are spinning with no movement?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Tokoloshe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Shipped YJ, now drive shafts are spinning with no movement?

Hey all,

I just moved to TN and had my YJ shipped to meet me. When it arrived I drove it off the transport truck as the driver reported having difficulty getting it on and had my buddy drive it onto the transport truck in NC. It seemed like it was having difficult engaging gears and after driving 20 yards would not produce movement fwd or backward in any gear.

I am able to shift into gear, the engine runs fine, both drive shafts turn but there is no vehicular movement forward or backward. Occasionally I can hear some minimal grinding that is very short lived when I shift into different gears.

I am not aware of any specific damage to the vehicle as it was running fine when I left but there were 2 weeks that I did not have eyes on the vehicle...

Engine: 350 Chevy small block, SM420 Transmission. 35" tires. Stock transfer case, axles, diff etc. I am semi-handy and can follow instructions well.

I would really appreciate any help in terms of diagnosis, replacement parts/instructions, cost estimates and will gladly provide any info needed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

T.

Tokoloshe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
scott5star

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I hope some guys step up on this one, same problem here
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Drive shafts turning, wheels not
But you drove it off the transport?
For that to happen either ALL the teeth on both pinions had to get sheared off or the ring gears are missing teeth that by strange coincidence brought to the same position on the front an rear at the same time. And it had to happen at the ~3 mph you drove off the transport.

If I were a betting man I would give even odds of either one of those happened or that someone stole both your diffs in transport....and that's about the same odds of having your kidneys stolen in a hotel bathtub filled with ice.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Or are driveshafts turning when it rolls on the wheels but nothing happening when engine turned on?
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Tokoloshe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah I cannot explain it either and yes it sounds weird to me!

If someone stole my diffs they are idiots as they are stock....

Biffngar I am not quite sure what you are asking, can you please rephrase? Both drive shafts turn when in any gear and the wheels don't turn.

Is there a way to confirm the presence of (damaged) diffs without removing the covers?

Thanks again,

T
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Either your pinion gear in both diffs broke, or the spiders in both diffs broke, or an axle in each. You have to remove the covers and see.

If you do not remove the covers and see you'll never know which or all you need

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokoloshe View Post
Hey all,

I just moved to TN and had my YJ shipped to meet me. When it arrived I drove it off the transport truck as the driver reported having difficulty getting it on and had my buddy drive it onto the transport truck in NC. It seemed like it was having difficult engaging gears and after driving 20 yards would not produce movement fwd or backward in any gear.

I am able to shift into gear, the engine runs fine, both drive shafts turn but there is no vehicular movement forward or backward. Occasionally I can hear some minimal grinding that is very short lived when I shift into different gears.

I am not aware of any specific damage to the vehicle as it was running fine when I left but there were 2 weeks that I did not have eyes on the vehicle...

Engine: 350 Chevy small block, SM420 Transmission. 35" tires. Stock transfer case, axles, diff etc. I am semi-handy and can follow instructions well.

I would really appreciate any help in terms of diagnosis, replacement parts/instructions, cost estimates and will gladly provide any info needed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

T.
I'm thinking that you should check the shift linkage on your transfer case. Make sure the T-case is engaged in some drive mode. Does the d-shafts turn when you are coasting? that could be friction.

The chances of blowing both ring and pinions while loading it up or off loading it from a trailer is about as likely as hitting the lottery...twice.

It drove for you then quit. Did the RPM's go up like you threw it into neutral?

I think it is T-case related somehow.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

One more question for you.

Are you saying that the drive shafts turn when you increase the RPMS of your running engine? Is it in 4WD? Shift it into 2WD and see if just rear shaft turns.
If this is happening or you can make this happen then you need to pull both front and rear differential covers.....

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Tokoloshe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help thus far yes. Been crazy busy at work and home. I checked the diff covers and neither looked like they have been tampered with.

I will see if I can get someone to check the drive shaft in 2wd.

Cheers,

T
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Tokoloshe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I checked the drive shafts today, they both rotated regardless of gear.

I tried to shift into 2WD but am unsure if I was able to as I ditched the vacuum operated 4WD for a cable operated system...

Does anybody have any other ideas apart from both differentials?

If not, any suggestions for rebuild kits (I have never messed with diffs before but am willing to try).

Thanks in advance for the help.

T
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Tokoloshe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Laybackman,

I have no idea how it happened....why are you thinking transfer case?

Learning here

T
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokoloshe View Post
Laybackman,

I have no idea how it happened....why are you thinking transfer case?

Learning here

T
This Jeep does not drive in gear so driveshaft movement is not happening due to the engine turning.

The rear drive shaft is always hooked up to the pinion gear so friction can make it turn. The front driveshaft would also be turning if the front axle is engaged. Don't assume it is not engaged.

If the T- case is in neutral you go nowhere EVEN if you are in FWD.

I would get this Jeep up on four jack stands or a body lift and see if you can turn the D shafts and makes some wheels turn.

IF the T-case is engaged and the tranny is in gear you should not be able to turn anything by hand. If you can, then the T-case would be the prime suspect.

I still think it is a T-case linkage issue.

Unread 01-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

If the shafts are turning AND the vehicle/jeep/car/whatever is not moving, the problem is not at the tcase.

Don't matter if it's in 2x or 4x, if the driveshafts ARE turning and the vehicle in question is not moving, the problem IS at the diffs

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

If the vehicle is on the floor whether the case is in neutral or not, IF you can turn the shafts YOU have problems with your diffs.

How could you turn the shaft if the vehicle is on the floor regardless of the trans or tcase selection, you could take the motor trans and tcase and remove it , you still can not turn a driveshaft with the vehicles tires on the floor

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Even with open diffs the drive shafts WILL NOT turn without spinning at least one axle.
The pinion gear is hard to the universals(one solid stub shaft) so if the shaft is turning, the pinion is too.the connection between the pinion and the axle carrier is gear teeth.

JUST THINKING, if your front 4wd disco is open AND you either had a PO install towing discos on the rear or one axle broke, you could be spinning the diconnected axle of each end. It's a long shot but at least a possibility.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.