Shifts fine Driveshaft spins jeep wont move - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Shifts fine Driveshaft spins jeep wont move

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
john88YJ

Shifts fine Driveshaft spins jeep wont move

Got an 88 4.2, ba10 stock except for 3in body lift, 32x12.5s.
While back was at a stop sign to turn right. took off pretty hard moved like 10ft and heard/felt loud bang. Similar in feel/noise to taking with a bad tranny mount except louder. I get back on the gas and it does it like 2 more times and then everything fine once i got up in speed. 1/4 mile later it does it again while driving staedy at 35mph. just one loud bang, jerk of the jeep, then went along fine. Then everytime i wood stop and get going, it would bang and randomly down the road going straight. then i noitced it would do it on right turns and up my steepish driveway. went up and down driveway a few times to try to pinpoint the noise better... anyway eventually car wouldnt move anymore. shifted fine but as soon as the clutch would grab in any gear and power was applied all id get was banging. It sounded as if it was coming from the transfer case or rear of trans. So i pulled the transmission and TC, rebuilt the tc, new clutch, rear main seal, new crank pilot bearing. even though they all seemed fine. Put all back together.

Anyway, jeep still not moving. what i missed before is that when in gear the driveshaft is spinning. jeep just not moving. banging is mosltly gone now. Basically I can put it in gear, let off the clutch with no gas, jeep doesnt stall, and driveshaft will spin but the jeep just sits there. One thing is that in reverse like 1 try in 20, if work the gas/clutch very slow, something will catch It will bang but reverse will work for little while, though banging most of the time.

im guessing now that the rear is bad in some way??? I have no experience at all with the rear. Havent had a chance to pull the cover yet.
What does it sound like it could be? ThanX

john88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like your rear differential took a dump. Pull the cover and check it out. It happened to me about 3 months ago. I rebuilt it and put a Detroit true trac in.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Roxy02

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Put it in 4x4 see if it will move . If it does then yeah it's your rear
Roxy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
john88YJ

Got time took off the cover and pulled out a hand full of teeth!! Looks like the spiders gears went.... does the whole carrier ahve to come out to get the gears out? what all do I need to do and buy to remove and replace them? Just need stock replacements for now... ThanX
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

First find out what axle you have ... AMC 20... Dana etc.... You can order just the spider gears, but it depends on how bad it is on wether on not you need a new carrier. Pretty sure you can change them with the carrier in, easier with it out on a bench,but you will have to at least pull you axles. All the grit from the gears coming apart are swimming around in the carrier and pinion bearings, be sure and flush everything, and check out the bearings. Might want to get a bearing kit. If you don't replace the ring and pinion it is fairly easy. Kinda labor intense but not too bad. I just did mine.
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
john88YJ

ok its a dana 35..... long story short, got new spider gears at the store.... didnt fit gave me wrong ones. had to return them. Couldnt find just the gears for mine so I bought a powertrax no slip system. Again cant this thing to fit either. WTF!!!
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

Did you take the carrier out? What exactly isn't fitting?
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would either find a new parts place or find out if someone upgraded or changed your Axle.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

Can you post some pix
Unread 07-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
john88YJ

Ok supposedly Richmond boxed the wrong part. Overnighted the right one and it fit......... drove it for two days AND NOW ITS THE SAME THING ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! SAME NOISE I HAD WITH THE SPIDER GEARS!!!! I was driving it without the trans tunnel cover or shifter boots on and sounds now as if its in the tranny this time. Bangs and is noisey as hell in first. it moves in first but not smoothly or quickly got to shift to second as quick as possible then it runs much more smoothly but not 100%. 2nd-4th gear have a slight bang/tap noise that seems to increase in frequency but not loudness or harshness with rpm. WTF!?!? Does it sound like my tranny is now going? throwout bearing possibly?

And if I push the clutch pedal in it goes away

Last edited by john88YJ; 07-05-2012 at 01:01 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.