Shakes at initial take off in 1st and reverse - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Elkmont
Posts: 10,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchtwister13 View Post
Did you have the flywheel machined when you changed the clutch
Really?


Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
mdm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 24 Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
YjStrangler92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
[QUOTE="mdm"]

you would b surprised how many corners some people cut. I try to cover everything once myself. Id rather be wheelin then workin on it.lol
YjStrangler92 is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Elkmont
Posts: 10,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
you would b surprised how many corners some people cut. I try to cover everything once myself. Id rather be wheelin then workin on it.lol
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've seen too much of it over the years.

There are two problems with Wrenchtwister13's post:
The biggest problem is that the FSM specifically says to NOT machine the flywheel. The surface has a domed shape which machining will cut off. There have been several people around here that have machined the flywheel and claim to have no problems. However, there are also several folks that have reported problems with the clutch not engaging smoothly after machining the flywheel. The fact that you don't machine the TJ flywheel had already been mentioned in previous posts.

The most obvious problem with his post is that the OP stated that he had installed a new flywheel. What would be the point of machining a new flywheel?

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
mdm is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM
YjStrangler92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've seen too much of it over the years.

There are two problems with Wrenchtwister13's post:
The biggest problem is that the FSM specifically says to NOT machine the flywheel. The surface has a domed shape which machining will cut off. There have been several people around here that have machined the flywheel and claim to have no problems. However, there are also several folks that have reported problems with the clutch not engaging smoothly after machining the flywheel. The fact that you don't machine the TJ flywheel had already been mentioned in previous posts.

The most obvious problem with his post is that the OP stated that he had installed a new flywheel. What would be the point of machining a new flywheel?
are u not supposed to turn a flywheel on a yj eithier?
YjStrangler92 is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Elkmont
Posts: 10,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
are u not supposed to turn a flywheel on a yj eithier?
Don't know. I haven't worked a YJ clutch. But they seem to use the same flywheel so I'd assume you shouldn't turn the YJ flywheel either.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
mdm is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM
winterfunguy
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7
As a level 4 Jeep Driveline tech I feel the need to chime in on this one. First off the NTH (noise vibration and harshness) sounds like one of 3 possible issues. First check the trans mount for tears or a soft/squishy feel to the rubber...if the rubber is not "hard" replace the mount. Jack the rear end up on the pumpkin and set a jackstand on each axle tube and support the vehicle on the stands...spin the drive shaft and see if it binds...if it does you need to install a SYE and CV shaft ...if it doesn't bind then your input bearing is bad in trans. Check the driveline for binding and/or severe driveline angles.
winterfunguy is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Wrenchtwister13
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 134
The flywheel should be replaced or machined either way it needs a new surfuce to mate to
Wrenchtwister13 is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Wrenchtwister13
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 134
I did not see that he had replaced the flywheel check the pinion angle on the rear diff do you have adjustable rear control arms
Wrenchtwister13 is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 PM
msweber97
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: fishers
Posts: 18
It shows in first post he replaced flywheel 3 days ago!
msweber97 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome