Shakes at initial take off in 1st and reverse - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Shakes at initial take off in 1st and reverse

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchtwister13 View Post
Did you have the flywheel machined when you changed the clutch
Really?

Unread 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
YjStrangler92

[QUOTE="mdm"]

you would b surprised how many corners some people cut. I try to cover everything once myself. Id rather be wheelin then workin on it.lol
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
you would b surprised how many corners some people cut. I try to cover everything once myself. Id rather be wheelin then workin on it.lol
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've seen too much of it over the years.

There are two problems with Wrenchtwister13's post:
The biggest problem is that the FSM specifically says to NOT machine the flywheel. The surface has a domed shape which machining will cut off. There have been several people around here that have machined the flywheel and claim to have no problems. However, there are also several folks that have reported problems with the clutch not engaging smoothly after machining the flywheel. The fact that you don't machine the TJ flywheel had already been mentioned in previous posts.

The most obvious problem with his post is that the OP stated that he had installed a new flywheel. What would be the point of machining a new flywheel?
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've seen too much of it over the years.

There are two problems with Wrenchtwister13's post:
The biggest problem is that the FSM specifically says to NOT machine the flywheel. The surface has a domed shape which machining will cut off. There have been several people around here that have machined the flywheel and claim to have no problems. However, there are also several folks that have reported problems with the clutch not engaging smoothly after machining the flywheel. The fact that you don't machine the TJ flywheel had already been mentioned in previous posts.

The most obvious problem with his post is that the OP stated that he had installed a new flywheel. What would be the point of machining a new flywheel?
are u not supposed to turn a flywheel on a yj eithier?
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
are u not supposed to turn a flywheel on a yj eithier?
Don't know. I haven't worked a YJ clutch. But they seem to use the same flywheel so I'd assume you shouldn't turn the YJ flywheel either.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
winterfunguy

As a level 4 Jeep Driveline tech I feel the need to chime in on this one. First off the NTH (noise vibration and harshness) sounds like one of 3 possible issues. First check the trans mount for tears or a soft/squishy feel to the rubber...if the rubber is not "hard" replace the mount. Jack the rear end up on the pumpkin and set a jackstand on each axle tube and support the vehicle on the stands...spin the drive shaft and see if it binds...if it does you need to install a SYE and CV shaft ...if it doesn't bind then your input bearing is bad in trans. Check the driveline for binding and/or severe driveline angles.
winterfunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

The flywheel should be replaced or machined either way it needs a new surfuce to mate to
Wrenchtwister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

I did not see that he had replaced the flywheel check the pinion angle on the rear diff do you have adjustable rear control arms
Wrenchtwister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
msweber97
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It shows in first post he replaced flywheel 3 days ago!
msweber97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.