Shakes at initial take off in 1st and reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Shakes at initial take off in 1st and reverse

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
mattyr0

Shakes at initial take off in 1st and reverse

Hey I have been having problems with my take offs in 1st and reverse. I just put a brand new clutch kit and flywheel in 3 days ago and it was doing it before cause I thought that was the problem but didn't fix it. Any ideas? I've been reading that it might be my transmission mount? I had 1 universal replaced recently in the drive line because it had too much play. Any more ideas or input would be appreciated! Thanks!

mattyr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check all motor/transmission mounts.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
mattyr0

Ya i'm gonna look at all the mounts tomorrow, i know every time I start my jeep the exhaust started to hit the tranny crossmember just recently too only on start up.

Also I have a real soft clutch pedal...has to be pressed to the floor to engage clutch so I don't know but I'm looking at replacing my master Slave and then if that's not it I was going to replace the clutch slave. The clutch pedal has no free play at all
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
mattyr0

Okay so I checked my motor mounts they seemed to be fine, I did replace my transmission mount because it seemed to be worn. I replaced the flywheel with new, new clutch kit and 1 worn u joint has been replaced. I still get this initial 1st and reverse shudder...what could it be? Could it be caused by pinion angle?? My jeep is lifted 3.5 inches with no transfer case drop or shimming the differential angle. I'm running out of idles just looking for a solution
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
trustno1
2014 WK 

I've had the same issues for awhile now and recently decided it was time to fix it. I only have 2" BB, 32" mt/r's with 106K on it since new. I started by installing a new clutch kit, which didn't help much. I then replaced the trans mount, which helped a little. I then replaced the engine mounts, which didn't help, but they were worn. I removed the front drive-shaft and that wasn't it. So finally I dropped the trans skid using washers and that seems to have helped the most. So, for me it's my pinion angle and maybe worn rear drive-shaft u-joints. That will be next, and I'm also looking at rear lower adj control arms. Hope this helps.
trustno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Profit42

I had the same shudder before I regeared from 3.07 to 4.10s. Now no more shudder.
Profit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
mattyr0

Would a bad pinion angle caused by a 4 inch lift cause this shudder/shake
Unread 06-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
mattyr0

Well I installed my 1 inch drop spacers for the crossmember and it made a slight difference but something had caught my attention today when I was heading out for a cruise! I'm getting a bad screeching sound when I depress my clutch and the only thing I can think of is my brand new release bearing is about to go! Grr any ideas why?
Unread 07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Lostfedexman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So mattyr0, any solution yet? I'm getting the same thing, If I drive carefully it doesn't do it in 1st, but almost ALWAYS does it in reverse. I f****** hate it and want the shaking GONE! My transmission mount is 3 months old so I certainly hope it's not that. Motor mounts are good. I have a 4" life with 5/8" boom shackles and the 1" t-case drop. Let me know if anybody finds anything out. And I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #4267
Lostfedexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustno1
I've had the same issues for awhile now and recently decided it was time to fix it. I only have 2" BB, 32" mt/r's with 106K on it since new. I started by installing a new clutch kit, which didn't help much. I then replaced the trans mount, which helped a little. I then replaced the engine mounts, which didn't help, but they were worn. I removed the front drive-shaft and that wasn't it. So finally I dropped the trans skid using washers and that seems to have helped the most. So, for me it's my pinion angle and maybe worn rear drive-shaft u-joints. That will be next, and I'm also looking at rear lower adj control arms. Hope this helps.
What kind of clutch kit? Remanufatured,or new? I have ram clutch 6 puck performance clutch, they do not like to slip,which causes a little shudder per technician from ram clutches. Stock clutch in jeep never shook at all,but ram will never slip,has massive lockup power.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
PatB
1967 CJ5 

When you replaced the clutch, did you have the flywheel faced? With age, flywheels, just like disc brakes warp from heat.

Pat
PatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
PatB
1967 CJ5 

Scratch that. I just reread the post and caught the part about new flywheel. Next thought is the differential is rocking as the clutch is released....Bushings, mount pads etcetera
PatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyr0 View Post
Would a bad pinion angle caused by a 4 inch lift cause this shudder/shake
Yes.

Why didn’t you replace both u-joints? My experience shows that when one is shot, the other one isn’t far behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatB View Post
When you replaced the clutch, did you have the flywheel faced? With age, flywheels, just like disc brakes warp from heat.
It doesn’t sound like he machined the flywheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyr0 View Post
… I replaced the flywheel with new…
For the record, you don’t want to machine a TJ flywheel. The FSM specifically says not to.
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyr0
Well I installed my 1 inch drop spacers for the crossmember and it made a slight difference but something had caught my attention today when I was heading out for a cruise! I'm getting a bad screeching sound when I depress my clutch and the only thing I can think of is my brand new release bearing is about to go! Grr any ideas why?
Yes, I just recently had a rear freeze plug start leaking water, washed the grease out of mine and it would squeel when you mashed in the cluth peddle. It was only in the jeep for maybe 4 months.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

Did you have the flywheel machined when you changed the clutch
Wrenchtwister13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.