Several issues :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Several issues :(

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
8047sconic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Several issues :(

Hello I am new to this fourm! I have several questions for experienced people...
1st my idol is about 300-400 RPM and it sputters.... how do i fix this??
2nd my smittybilt xrc bumper the latch does not latch and lock with out elevating the the lock recever with 6 washers on each bolt?? dont seam like this is right??? I have read the directions and nothing says anything about fixing the tilt of the bar.....
3rd O2 sensor I replaced the old one and put a new one in but it still throws a code for it.. and i have pulled the neg batt cable to reset and it still has a code..
4th with 35's and the 2.5L i would assume i would beable to go at a speed of 65 with no real prob... but my engine seams to top out at 50-55 mph??? Please help these are the tings that i am and have been super lost on...

8047sconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hi.
Start with some vehicle info and background.
With those big tires on a 2.5 without knowing your axle type or the type of road its only a guess here. If you're topping out at 50 then it us safe to assume you're still stock and that's all she has to offer. I bet she has no acceleration? So thus leads to either changing gears/axles or smaller tires.
The idle issue could be alor if things. We'll need to know make model year engine transmission.
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Karottop
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
Hi.
Start with some vehicle info and background.
With those big tires on a 2.5 without knowing your axle type or the type of road its only a guess here. If you're topping out at 50 then it us safe to assume you're still stock and that's all she has to offer. I bet she has no acceleration? So thus leads to either changing gears/axles or smaller tires.
The idle issue could be alor if things. We'll need to know make model year engine transmission.
^second that we need vehicle info

also agree that 50-55 makes sense with a bone stock low output 2.5l. I have 31s and it has trouble at 65 with a head wind and god forbid a slight hill. You can put gears in it but with 35s you probably have at least a 4" lift, probably more so the drag coefficient is absolutely terrible. By the time you get gears in it greater than 5:1 you wont be going much faster than 60 anyways n ull be spinning at 4,000.

I'd check the intake for vacuum leaks. Seafoam can make that pretty obvious. Or you an spray starter fluid around every hose connection and manifold flange while the engine is running. If the idle raises shortly, you have a vacuum leak at that spot. It could also be a the sensors/butterfly valve in ur throttle body. Clean all the gunk off those. Lastly, it could be a number of other issues

Type ur problem into google with 2.5 yj/tj in there somewhere n ull proably find a thread ont he forum about it
Karottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
8047sconic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 YJ 2.5L with stock motor trans.... axles are stock aswell 6 inch sky jacker with 35 micky thompsons...... thanks for the quick reply! I will clean the gunk out of it tomorrow..... that is a good way to check for vaccume leaks also i think the person before me swapped engines so is there a detailed diagram that makes sense on what hookes up to what like hoses and lines and such?
8047sconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Karottop
1998 TJ Wrangler 

as long as its not carbureted its basically the same motor and intake up through the end of the TJ. A Haynes manual should have everything you need to work on the vehicle. I just took both my manifolds off the other day for the first time and its is absolutely cake compared to some other motors I've worked on.
Karottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Unfortunately, there is really no way that engine/gearing combo is going to run 35 effectively. In the end, you're going to have to either drop tire size or re-gear.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.