serious engine guys i need help, 350 chevy identification!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > serious engine guys i need help, 350 chevy identification!!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
79cj360

serious engine guys i need help, 350 chevy identification!!

ok i got a motor from a buddy of mine im building into a 383 stroker. the motor blew up. the one cylinder has some water in it when i pulled the heads off and had a destroyed piston, and cracked the piston rod in 2. the heads and the block are fine. the crank is shot from the rod hitting it and the one pistons/ rod combo are shot.

i checked it all out and everything around this is fine, block is perfect still

now heres my question. i looked up the casting number int he heads. #3998993. this id comes up as a "hencho en mexico" goodwrinch crate motor.

heres is the kicker, i cant find jack on these motors. i found out the cc of the heads are 75cc thats it. id like to find out valve sizes, bore of the block without taking it somewhere. if its to much hastle i have a virgin stock block also. these are 4-bolt blocks and i really would like to use em.

does anyone know where i could find out about this hencho en mexico crap. thanx a lot

turbo 350
12 inch lift
39.5's
np 208
re quick disconnects
rancho shocks
cutom driveshafts
snorkel
14 bolt rear
international dana 70 front w/closed knuckles

" damn modification bug bit me hard, so im bittin back!!"

"Go mud or go home"

Last edited by 79cj360; 03-09-2004 at 08:05 PM..
79cj360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
serjustin

I would be all to worried about the head casting numbers. Check teh block casting numbers to see what they come out with.
serjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
79cj360

i talked to a guy that runs a casting number website and tyhis is what he said

"Most were 1.94/1.5 valves and they have 160cc intake ports. they were also used on production motors in the 70's. They are good heavy casting heads.

i gave him the castings and everything. im gonna get the block here this weekend and do that number as well to find bore size.

to get the block prepped and bored and all for the stroker setup is $250+shipping. chevy is so cheap i love it
turbo 350
12 inch lift
39.5's
np 208
re quick disconnects
rancho shocks
cutom driveshafts
snorkel
14 bolt rear

"Go mud or go home"
Unread 03-11-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
CJ-5

Builder

I think that you never had the relief work done to the lower block.
You gotta do a little grinding on a 350 block for the 400 crank to work properly.
Regarding the rest, if all you need to know are the valve sizes, bore and stroke measurements etc, Measure it out......
How easy is that ???
I don't wanna come off wrong here, but it sounds to me like you went into a project that is a little too deep for your experience and failed to do all the preliminary "homework"

Machinists get paid not for being able to run a lathe, but cause they can do the required math involved in running that machine.

No offense meant here to anyone.
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would imagine it has a 4" bore and 1.94/1.5 inch valves. If you're gonna do engine rebuild work you might as well pick up a good micrometer. Then, you can measure everything out. I would definately have the block and heads magnafluxed to check for cracks after catastrophic internal damage. You don't want to start sinking lots of $$$ into an 8 cylinder boat anchor..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
79cj360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-5
I think that you never had the relief work done to the lower block.
You gotta do a little grinding on a 350 block for the 400 crank to work properly.
Regarding the rest, if all you need to know are the valve sizes, bore and stroke measurements etc, Measure it out......
How easy is that ???
I don't wanna come off wrong here, but it sounds to me like you went into a project that is a little too deep for your experience and failed to do all the preliminary "homework"

Machinists get paid not for being able to run a lathe, but cause they can do the required math involved in running that machine.

No offense meant here to anyone.

oh ive done my homework and this is definately not out of my league at all. this to me is easy. i did a little reading up about compressions and such and i should put out about 400-450hp.

the block will be dipped and fluxed to check for cracks. it will be decked and bored otu .30 over. it should have the stock bore. waiting for someone to get back to me on this.

i would go by a mic but im out of money at this time for about a week and the stores around here suck so i have to order one. by the time i get it ill knwo allready.

dotn worry man no offense taken. i read up about putting the 400 crank in a chevy and the block has to be cut fo rthe stroker setup and im ordering a special crank for the setup.

thanx for the help
turbo 350
12 inch lift
39.5's
np 208
re quick disconnects
rancho shocks
cutom driveshafts
snorkel
14 bolt rear

"Go mud or go home"

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.