serial number verification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > serial number verification

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

serial number verification

I saw a '60 Willys for sale on ebay. It is being sold with no title.
Yes my spidey sense detects a 'problem'. It was not registered in a non- title state either, so no prior registration exists to apply for a title here in MA.

I have been through a salvage title to restored title inspection, on a car
(1987 El Camino SS) here in MA. I had owned it since new, and burnt up in my driveway. I bought it back from the insurance co and rebuilt it.

The inspection went well BUT they are very....shall we say meticulous, and this was my titled car. They look for inconsistencies AKA stolen parts. If you miss one receipt for a major part they think has been replaced they can grab it and you are boned.

This WIllys serial plate has four different screws holding it to the Willys.

#1 does that serial number appear anywhere else on that Willys?

#2 Has anyone ever used a title company such as Broadway Title to title a vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm leery about untitled cars to begin with, but the VIN being held down by 4 different screws? I'd say no way. I looked at a '66 mustang with a rebuilt plate on the door sill. The insurance company said they wouldn't insure it, and since there was no title, I was not about to take any chances of wasting money on it. If it doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.

I just realized that I didn't really answer your question. I don't know where all VIN are on a Willys, unless one was stamped on the engine block.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfxrs91 View Post
I'm leery about untitled cars to begin with, but the VIN being held down by 4 different screws? I'd say no way. I looked at a '66 mustang with a rebuilt plate on the door sill. The insurance company said they wouldn't insure it, and since there was no title, I was not about to take any chances of wasting money on it. If it doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.

I just realized that I didn't really answer your question. I don't know where all VIN are on a Willys, unless one was stamped on the engine block.
The problem is it might have been the way they attached the old serial number tags back then but I am not sure. That information would be important to know also.

That block is no longer in the vehicle. It got swapped out for a 350. I do not think the block number would be vehicle specific but year specific.....maybe.

Keep in mind if a 59 Willys stayed at the dealership for a year they would then sell it as a 1960 Willys wagon UNLESS there was a major design change. And that did not happen too often with these old gals...

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.