selec trac help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > selec trac help.

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 11-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
01bluegrndchrke
2001 WJ 

selec trac help.

Hey guys got.an 01 wj and i have the np242 selec trac transfer case and everytime i go into 4wd it works amazing but i go to put it back into 2wd it stays locked in part time four wheel drive. I disconnected the four wheel drive switch on the top of the tc and the part time wheel drive light is now off and it seems to b back in 2wd. Could it b possible that the switch is defective? I plan on changing fluids on it probably saturday. Hope it helps if anybody can possible give me more info if the switch is bad. Id freshly appreciate it..

01bluegrndchrke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

If its the switch you should only notice a light staying on, does it feel like its stuck in 4wd (part time) or is it just the light staying on. If its stuck in 4wd part time you should notice some binding when turning sharper corners. If you haven't noticed binding then go ahead and put it in 4wd and turn around in a parking lot so you will now what it feels like. If no binding at all and the light stays on I would probably replace the switch
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
01bluegrndchrke
2001 WJ 

When the light is on i do feel the binding when i make a left turn we unplugged the switch and we went around the block and u could feel it locked in. but after another turn the vibration went away and the binding did too. It feels like it back in 2wd cuz there is no more binding it feels normal again
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Do you think its possible that the shifter linkage is slightly off and need a little adjustment? Do the other ranges seem like they work right and in the right spots?
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
01bluegrndchrke
2001 WJ 

It seems like everything involving the 4wd system work great it could be possible that the shifter linkage is out of whack. Goin to take it to a trans guy tomorrow hopefully we can figure this out
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Selectrac can be a bit of a bear to shift out of 4wd and tends to pause and get stuck in Parttime. Use the following factory instructions for shifting.

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
01bluegrndchrke
2001 WJ 

I do that which isnt a problem the lies with me going from 4wd to part time 4wd then going from part time into 2wd but when i shift into 2wd it remains either engaged in part time and the light remains on saying that it is in part time when its suppose to b only in 2wd
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Shift ALL the way from fulltime to 2wd without pausing in Parttime. Do the gas tapping trick in a straight line.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
01bluegrndchrke
2001 WJ 

Ok i disconnected the switch and it stays in 2wd plug the switch back in and it goes back into 4wd. So it leads me to believe to believe that my 4wd switch is defective. Switch has been unplugged since the snow storm that rocked nj right after hurricane sandy jeep hasnt given me a single ounce of problems. So i believe ive figured out my issue with my jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.