seemingly random missing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > seemingly random missing

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
hogman500
1988 YJ Wrangler 

seemingly random missing

overview

so a brief overview of what is happening is that I did an engine swap because the engine i had was making strange scary noises and it was just as much to replace with a used motor as it would be to rebuild so anyway the motor is a 1983 motor recently rebuilt with about 45000 miles on it which is much less then the motor i took out which had 166000 miles on it. in addition the new motor has headers and had an upgraded ignition which i removed and put the stock ignition back on hoping it would fix the problem.

issue

so the misses are seemingly random although i know its electrical in nature because the gauge spikes and dips every time it misses. a while back i traces the problem with an oscilloscope to the pick-ups on the distributor which i swapped out along with the vacuum advance solenoid. then for about a week it ran perfect then randomly a week later it was back to how it was missing low idle dyeing in turn lanes you know what i mean. its gotten so bad we had to borrow a vehicle and not drive the Jeep. and the miss is not consistent its not once a revolution or within any particular period it just happens and it sputters and dies.

what ive already tried

i am putting this because these are the things everyone always tells me and ive been through it tons of times already.
  1. check and replace spark plugs
  2. replaced pick ups with good ones
  3. checked timing
  4. checked plug wires and replaced with known good ones
  5. ruled out valves because they just had a 3-point valve job
  6. ruled out piston rings because of recent rebuild
  7. many other basic things including having a mechanic look at it which dident help at all
  8. replaced a special vacuum part which made a huge improvement on kicking up the idle when cold

this is becoming a serious issue

this vehicle is supposed to be a daily driver if this keeps up without us finding a fix we may either have to put the old motor back or sell it.

thanks in advance for any help and all advice will be helpful

hogman500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine swap , ignition , miss , random , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.