Sealing off unneeded ports on aftermarket replacement exhaust manifold? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Sealing off unneeded ports on aftermarket replacement exhaust manifold?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 09-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sealing off unneeded ports on aftermarket replacement exhaust manifold?

I just got a replacement cast iron exhaust manifold and it is made to fit several different years of the 4.2L, so it has ports that aren't on the 1990. It came with threaded steel plugs to block off any ports that I don't need.

Do I need to do anything other than get the plugs good and tight to make sure they don't leak? I'm guessing that JB weld or red loctite wont withstand the exhaust maifold temps.

this is the manifold:

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just thinking...anyone use 2000*F copper RTV for sealing plug threads on the exhaust manifold smog ports? Or should I just find some NPT brass fittings and not bother with RTV to seal the threads?
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
JHW12084
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
I just got a replacement cast iron exhaust manifold and it is made to fit several different years of the 4.2L, so it has ports that aren't on the 1990. It came with threaded steel plugs to block off any ports that I don't need.

Do I need to do anything other than get the plugs good and tight to make sure they don't leak? I'm guessing that JB weld or red loctite wont withstand the exhaust maifold temps.

this is the manifold:

just use teflon tape.....thats what i always used
JHW12084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Let's see, I've been using brass hardware on the exhaust system for the last thirty years or so, and putting RTV Copper on exhaust gaskets as a matter of course for at least twenty - and having no trouble either way. So, you'll be fine.

Theoretically, NPT doesn't require the use of sealant - but I know I feel better if I use the stuff anyhow. RTV Copper - I've not quite worked myself up to using PTFE on anything that runs over 500*F, no matter what the label sez...
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies.

Not really sure about teflon tape withstanding exhaust manifold temps myself. I'll check around the local hardware stores and see what NPT brass fittings I can find.
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Just put the plugs inplace of the Air Injection Manifold Pipe, They are not going to leak and after they have been in for a while you will have trouble getting them out.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ended up just using the plugs that came with the manifold. Brass fittings were too expensive. Put a little copper RTV on them to help ensure the threads are sealed good for now. Kinda figured that they would eventually get frozen in, but wasn't to sure about them leaking any when newly installed.

Thanks again all.
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
imac61
1980 CJ7 

just use some teflon tape
imac61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.