sealing bellhousing to keep mud off clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > sealing bellhousing to keep mud off clutch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Racing66atv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

sealing bellhousing to keep mud off clutch

Hey guys and girls, like the title said I'm looking for an answer to whether or not it's safe to rtv the bellhousing/starter/slave cylinder/ and the 3 openings on the NSG370 tranny to prevent mud and water from getting in and ruining my throwout bearing/ clutch. Why would I even think about doing this some of you may ask? Well mid august I got my jeep stuck in the mud and burnt my clutch up, So I replaced it with a LUK gold series clutch kit. Last weekend I was on a jeep dice run and got stuck in another mud hole, I wasn't stupid enough this time to burn my clutch up but it got caked with what I thought was mud (actually sand) and ruined my throw out bearing. So now I have to pull the tranny again and replace the TO bearing, as much as I like working on my jeep I don't want to pull the tranny a 3rd time anytime soon. Sorry for the novel but I had to explain myself. Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Racing66atv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Racing66atv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

is this a stupid question? no one has even looked at this topic
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just don't shift when your tranny is submerged and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
zjdamien
1993 ZJ 

If u seal it up tight enough so water can't get in then air will have trouble getting in/out so if ur running so as temp builds up in the bellhousing pressure builds up so when u hit water/mud it will cool rapidly and could actualy pull a vac on the trans seal and rear main (like having a clogged rear end vent) and a very slight chance it could suck fluid out of the trans/engine I wouldn't worry about it the centrifugal force should sling all the mud/water off the clutch pressure plate flywheel as long as the motor is running there's my 2 cents
93 zj 4.6 stroker fastmen throttle body, adj FPR, D.U.I. Coil, 5"ish lift, iron Y long arm adj trac bar, 249 t-case 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers, home brew roof rack and bumper, red top, hi lift, KOR rad support, & steering gearbox brace, 3.73 gears
Other rides
2005 triumph bonnievillie America custom
89' chevy step side 6" drop in front bagged in rear
zjdamien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Racing66atv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the main thing I'm trying to prevent is throw out bearing damage like I said I just replaced the clutch and got stuck last week. I pulled the trans the clutch is fine but my throwout bearing is destroyed it actually fell apart and all the bearings were in the bottom of my bellhousing. I know there greased fom factory but does anybody grease the hell outta there to bearing? If so what type of grease do you use. And I think I'll just stick to crawling and forget the mud. Thanks for the replies guys
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Racing66atv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

and yes I am done using the clutch under water and in mud, somehow I missed that important information
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been thinking about this too. I've cleaned mine out 3 times this year already. I didnt think about the venting issue though. Would it be possible to seal it up then add a vent hose routed up into the engine compartment somewhere (like for the axles etc)?
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Food for thought:

The old Army M35 Duece & a Half had a bell housing with two threaded plug holes in the bottom. Looking up at it you would see a drain plug in one hole, the other would be open to the clutch. The side the drain plug is normally on is just a holder for the plug and does not go all the way through to the inside of the bell housing. When the vehicle was to ford deep water the driver would remove the drain plug from the holder side and move it to the open side to seal the clutch.

I'm not up on the old military Jeeps (I drove some of the old M151 Mutts but never really worked on them). But I would guess they would have something similar.
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if you would be better off with drilling a hole in the bellhousing so that you could wash the dirt/mud out with a hose instead of leaving it in there?
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

You can seal the vents and run a vacuum line coming out of them that runs to the intake box. The intake will create a blowing effect and cool the clutch off. Also can use a thin meshing that wont allow rocks and crap in, just need to make sure and clean it after your out of the gunk.
Prolly easier just to not use the clutch when in the mud.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
TEEEJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
You can seal the vents and run a vacuum line coming out of them that runs to the intake box. The intake will create a blowing effect and cool the clutch off. Also can use a thin meshing that wont allow rocks and crap in, just need to make sure and clean it after your out of the gunk.
Prolly easier just to not use the clutch when in the mud.

Hmmmm....

A line from the intake pulls air in from the clutch..but, you also need make-up air INTO the clutch, or else the intake would just be pulling against a static back pressure....and there would be no flow to carry off the heat.

On the other hand, I've been wheeling manuals in mud/bogs since the mid 70's...and have yet to kill one that way.

I have WITNESSED a lot of people kill the clutches by shifting when they should not though, so I think that's the key....don't shift when the clutch plates are under water.

So - That goes back to it prolly being better to stop shifting when the clutch is submerged.

TEEEJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

good point, been awhile sense I read the article. Maybe there were 2 holes and 2 vacuum lines, one going to the intake and another one that ends somewhere that will pull in cool air so there wont be back pressure. I know its posible sense I was close to doing it a few years back, then I found out it doesnt rain here so it would be pointless
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
wavelength20
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure if the OP question was answered yet. Also, how do you get the mud out if it's already in there - without removing the trans?
wavelength20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
Racing66atv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

take the plate off the bottom the tranmission where it meets the engine, and spray water in it. Most of the mud comes out though when submerged in water. If you ever think you have mud stuck up in your bellhousing and your on the trail by fresh water go in until ur trans is submerged and push the clutch in a couple times to clean it out.
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing66atv View Post
take the plate off the bottom the tranmission where it meets the engine,...
That's kind of hard to do when the plate covers the whole back end of the block and is held in place by the transmission. I don't know what year models has this type of plate and which ones don't. The '00 does and I think my wife's '05 did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.