Is seafoam worth it?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Is seafoam worth it??

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is seafoam worth it??

I have a 92 yj. 2.5. Just got a head job done and I wanted to start keeping stuff maintained n clean. I read a lot about seafoam. But is it worth it.? I want to clean the lines and engine beat I can. Everything I read comes down to it.? Any help or suggestions I would appreciate it. And what is the best way to use it?

cody413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Your asking for personal opinions.
My dad owns a machine shop we rebuild engines. 33% of our work comes from seafoam.
That doesn't mean its bad.
We recommend a bottle of Lucas in the fuel once a month.
I personally don't like how you are told to use seafoam by the company.
Are you carburetored? If so use the Lucas and use Carb spray. For efi I use the Lucas and I use Carb spray on my throttle body.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have Fuel injected. I just want to get anything out of my fuel lines. Js wanted opinions to see what I thinks best.
cody413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Its all good hopefully others will chime in
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Seafoam is a good product but dont expect miracles from it or any other like product. The effectiveness of the product depends on how it is applied and if its needed. By needed meaning if there is gunk/crud in their that is a needs to be cleaned. A bunch of people on here have used seafoam with good results so you might search the threads. I doubt you will notice much gain by putting some in the fuel tank, if the injectors are real dirty you would probably need multiple fuel tank applications if not an actual injector flush. The cans are $10 or less so its not a big waste of money if you dont see the results you were looking for.

For the most part, these types of chemicals do a lot better job when used as a preventative step rather than a problem solver.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
c1011970
1970 C101 

I use sea foam in all of my boats and jeeps. It is more helpful in boats keeping carbs and fuel systems clean because of many days of non use in jeeps it may be more of a mental thing but I do use it wait to one of the discount auto parts stores have it on sale and give it a try
c1011970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As said above, It's not a miracle cure. People that use it (or any other fuel system cleaner) on a regular basis usually don't have fuel system problems. Maybe because of the additive, maybe because they spend more time and attention to fuel details.
I use Seafoam, Amsoil PI, Lucas, and/or 2 cycle oil every couple of tank fulls on everything I own from weed whackers to my diesel truck. They keep the system from gunking and the 2 cycle helps a little with ring and injector wear. Literally tens of thousands of operating hrs and never a fuel crud issue...could be luck, could be additives..
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1011970 View Post
I use sea foam in all of my boats and jeeps. It is more helpful in boats keeping carbs and fuel systems clean because of many days of non use in jeeps it may be more of a mental thing but I do use it wait to one of the discount auto parts stores have it on sale and give it a try
Good deal, for those that don't know Seafoam is also a fuel stabilizer, no need to use products like Sta-bil if using Seafoam.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
trav278

Seafoam helped my 97 xj. I put a third of the can into the vacuum line off of the brake booster, it smoked liked crazy. After a few minutes it cleaned up. I noticed it idled smoother and helped with heater controls. Sounds stupid but where the controls are vacuum opperated I guess the motor was producing more vacuum from cleaner lines. I had a problem with my defrost not wanting to work via the vacuum actuator, after the Seafoam it worked. Now I haven't noticed any changes from running it in my fuel tank. Check Youtube. There are videos of it fixing stuck lifters and some other things.
trav278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Get some REAL fuel system cleaner. BG 44K. Add to a full tank of gas. At 1/2 tank, fill again. Run theat tankfull to 1/8 tank and you're good to go.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

I did Seafoam in a ten year old Police Interceptor Crown Vic with 80k miles. Put on a hell of a smoke show. Ripped it through town, went home and did a spark plug, air filter, oil and oil filter change. Ran so smoothe after that. Been 3 years since, still running strong more than 30k miles later.

Tags
maintenance , seafoam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.