SBC 350 swap into a 92 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > SBC 350 swap into a 92 YJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-20-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

SBC 350 swap into a 92 YJ

I am looking for someone to give me a run down of everyhting i will need to do a 350 swap into a 2.5L, 92 YJ.............

plz help me becasue i am new at this!!!!!!

Unread 01-22-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
350Jeep

Hi, I swapped my 92 wrangler 4 cyl. over to a 350 chevy about 6 years ago. It wasn't that bad of a conversion. I would suggest giving Advance Adapters, www.advanceadapters.com, a call because they specialize in motor and tranny swaps in numerous vehicles, including jeeps. I got everything i needed for the swap through them (motor mounts, adaptors, ect.) They are very helpful. I went with an aftermarket tranny as well (see sig) but they have adaptors for stock as well as non-chevy trannys as well. You will also need a better radiator, headers, exhaust system. I dont know if you already have a motor lined up, but make sure you have everything for that as well. My motor is carbed so all the FI wiring from the 4 cyl. is not used. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
'92 Wrangler, 350ci Chevy w/ Holley Truck Avenger carb, B-W WC T4, NP231 w/ JB conversions SYE, Ford 8.8 rearend w/ ARB, Dana 44 front w/ ARB, 4.10's, Rubicon Express XD 4.5" lift, 35" MT/R's on 15"x8" American Racing wheels, 6" Bushwacker cut-out TJ-style fender flares, custom polished aluminum dash w/ full set of Autometer Ultra-Lite gauges, Warn HS9500i winch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, custom, self-made rear bumper
350Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if i want to get FI can the wairing still work for the 4 cyl stuff??

or do i need a special setup??
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
350Jeep

If you want to go with FI, try to find a motor out a newer donor truck that has all of its own wiring with it (ie. computer, harness, sensors, etc.) that way you can just change harnesses. The Jeep 4 cyl. FI harness and computer were made and calibrated for the Jeep 4 cyl. so I doubt that you could, or it would be quite difficult to adapt the Jeep harness and computer to a chevy V8. I dont know if you said you already had an engine lined up, but if not, start checking junkyards and salvage yards for donor trucks. If you want a standard 350ci, look at early to mid 90's 1500's and up trucks. Later they started using the 5.3L engines and i think the blocks arent the same. But if you do want a newer motor, as long as you can get the computer, harness, and sensors, etc. from the donor truck, do it, the engine will have less miles on it and be in better shape generally. you can find adapters to fit the engine to a good tranny you want.
'92 Wrangler, 350ci Chevy w/ Holley Truck Avenger carb, B-W WC T4, NP231 w/ JB conversions SYE, Ford 8.8 rearend w/ ARB, Dana 44 front w/ ARB, 4.10's, Rubicon Express XD 4.5" lift, 35" MT/R's on 15"x8" American Racing wheels, 6" Bushwacker cut-out TJ-style fender flares, custom polished aluminum dash w/ full set of Autometer Ultra-Lite gauges, Warn HS9500i winch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, custom, self-made rear bumper
Unread 01-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

is it better to get a donor truck or should i try and build the motor myself?? and then buy a new tranny and stuff like that??

thanks again
Unread 01-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
350Jeep

A donor truck engine would be the easiest and most reliable way to go. If you find one with low miles and keep it fairly stock (keep the internals stock) then it should be a good engine with good reliability and decent gas mileage. But, if you are experienced enough to build your own engine and really want to, then go for it. Might be a little more enpensive in the end if you build it up a little, but fun doing it. If you really feel you want to buy a new tranny, etc. and have the money, then whose stopping you, but you can find good parts from salvage yards, you may just have to look a little bit harder. If you want a decently built engine but dont want to build it yourself, look into crate engines. Check out Summit Racing or Jegs on their Crate engines to see if there is anything you like.
Unread 01-24-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
sonoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiradelli777
I am looking for someone to give me a run down of everyhting i will need to do a 350 swap into a 2.5L, 92 YJ.............

plz help me becasue i am new at this!!!!!!
Do you have emissions inspections where you live and have your Jeep registered?
81 CJ5 frame-off rebuild - Chev 350 TBI/SM465/Dana300, Tom Woods driveshafts, Superior one-piece axles in 3.54 AMC20, Superior axle upgrades in Dana 30, Rancho OEM suspension parts, ARB lockers front and rear
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
350Jeep

I live in South Carolina and there are absolutely no emissions tests done here. My Jeep runs Hedman headers to a custom exhaust to Flowmaster mufflers dumping before the rear axle. My Jeep is registered and insured, but im sure technically its illegal, but i have had it this way for about 7 years now and have had no problem with it at all. I dont know about how other states handle it, but im sure if you swap in a fairly stock V8 that passed emissions testing before, then it might be fine in your jeep. However, i would check with the proper authorities beforehand.
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I live in CT and our emissions are not on track yet so i could be grandfathered in for at least the time being......but anyways....

do i need to get FI if i am going to put it in a 92?? or can i get away with a carb??

and what tranny and tcase should i get to fit???

thanks
Unread 01-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #10
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am looking for someone to give me a run down of everyhting i will need to do a 350 swap into a 2.5L, 92 YJ.............plz help me becasue i am new at this!!!!!!
Read the swap section of the YJ Forum's FAQ. It a start and has some links to help. I do not at all mean to sound like I am blowing you off, but a lot of the answers to the questions you ask are already written down, you just have to Google them out of the internet. It's easier than us typing in every answer to every question you have. This venue is better for the smaller issues you may run into in the process.
Unread 01-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #11
350Jeep

Well, my Jeep is a '92 and i'm running a carb. My motor is a crate 350 chevy, and at the time of purchasing it, the fuel injected version was about $1200 more expensive, so i just went with the carb because of the lower price. You can run FI or carb, whichever you wish, FI will be a slightly harder install with all the wiring and sensors and such. With my motor, i just bolted the motor in and and hooked up a few wires like alternator, starter, some guage sensors like oil pressure and water temp and it ran fine, the beauty of a carb. But FI is not impossible to do, probably not hard to do at all.

As for the tranny and TC, that is up to you. Right now i am running a Borg-Warner World Class T4 4-speed with the NP231 and JB conversions SYE. Once i have some more money saved up, im am going to get a chevy version of the NV4500 5-speed. you can run auto or manual, whichever is your preference. I would not try to use the stock trans (i think there are adapters out there) with the V8. There are usually adapters for whatever combo you decide. My NP231 has held up well to the V8 power so im not going to change that until i break it.
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #12
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thank you for that, where could i get a crate motor?? from Jegs or Summitt or are there better places to pick up a motor??

thanks again
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thank you for that, where could i get a crate motor?? from Jegs or Summitt or are there better places to pick up a motor??
I got my low mileage used motor on eBay.
Unread 01-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #14
350Jeep

If you really want a complete turn-key crate motor, expect to shell out between $3000-$3500 for a standard carbed 350 chevy. Mine is a standard 350 4 bolt main, it came with everything (carb, plugs, plug wires, air cleaner) except the starter and accessories; Its rated at 330HP and 380ftlb. I got it for around $3100. You can get more high performance crate motors, but they will run you $4000 to $5000 or even higher, depending on the motor. Do a search on Google for Crate Motors, there are different places that sells them. Also, as JeeperDon said, check ebay, might be something good there. The choice is yours on what engine you want, be it a good stock reliable engine from a donor truck or a High Performance Crate 502 Big Block or anything in between.
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

alright, thanks for the info

i will still post if i need some more technical stuff from you guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.