SBC 350 L31 Cam Selection - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > SBC 350 L31 Cam Selection

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
danturner266
1983 CJ7 

Oh, yeah, I'm completely pumped about getting this spec and seeing/feeling the juice come on! Once I get the stick ordered and parts back from Precision Balancing, I'll be ready to pickup the remaining "little" items to complete the basic build and then IT'S ON!!! If there are still cooling issues, I'll spring for a better radiator, but I'm hoping that it's going to be fine as it is.

The NITB group is getting ready to do their Cabin Fever run at the end of the month, and I didn't try to sign up because getting there and back is somewhat of an issue with the 400 still in there. So my hope is that I'll still be able to get this thing around on the hi-way at 60 when I want to get to the trail runs. I realize it's hard to choose between having power on the trails, and still being able to cruise across the state, kinda one of those "can't have it all" things.

Do you think the stamped magnums would be fine for me as opposed to the Pro's? We did decide the 1.6 was the way to go, to maximize the lift on the cam spec at .488, which does sounds perfect to me! They run a bit cheaper, but I'm sure I would not stress them at all, so I don't think I would need to worry about that.

So, how's the weather in the warmer part of the country? Hope the NCAA traffic didn't cause too much trouble for you, at least that's behind you for the year! Are you heading down to AZ?

danturner266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #32
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I checked your recommened beehive for that cam and they are 284 lbs over the nose. That's quite a bit under the 350 lb max of the Magnum (self-aligning, right?) rockers so you're good to go. Just be sure and get the lock nuts that I linked earlier. I wiped out the cam in a 383 from those cheap nuts backing off once. It started ticking a few miles out of town and by the time I got home it had backed out enough to spit the lifter out. That giant oil leak from a missing lifter starved the rest of the cam of oil. That's a lot of bs for $30 lock nuts.

The spring rate is giving me pause on your pressed-in studs though. I posed the question on Speedtalk so we'll see what the pros have to say about it. You might consider screw-in studs just for piece of mind. I'm sure a lot of us have gotten away with that sort of thing before but I'd sure hate to have one push out on you.

That cam should be 'on the curve' before the convertor is and you'll have plenty of power at highway cruise rpm.

I avoid Las Vegas traffic as much as possible! I stay holed up in the man-cave, other than a short, daily commute for beer
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #33
danturner266
1983 CJ7 

Bullet was in the chamber, trigger has been pulled! Cam will now be milled...several days to wait!
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Fire in the hole!
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #35
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

It should be about that time, isn't it?
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #36
danturner266
1983 CJ7 

Hey Shawn, I expect it to be delivered today! I stopped by Kevin's yesterday to check on the balancing and he hadn't started yet, so I suppose he will soon. He had given me 2-3 weeks to get it done, but also he had to pop off the pistons, and he's a little leary about the cast stockers and not breaking any of them.
Unread 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Hey, let me know what he had to add or remove. I'm curious as to what GM was ok with.
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #38
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

How's the project coming along?

Check this article out. Vortec Build

What's kind of funny about this particular build that isn't mentioned in the article is that there were several big cam company guys there for the dyno test that brought their own cams because they didn't think Vizard's cam was going to cut the mustard. They were thinking that after his cam fell short, they would then install their cam and finally nail his a$$.

After the initial pulls to check the a/f mixture, they saw the amount of torque he was building and they started to disappear, lol. After the first full pull with the Performance Distributors' module, the one or two that stuck around didn't feel like trying out the cam they brought for that build.

Shawn
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #39
danturner266
1983 CJ7 

Hey Shawn! How are ya buddy? I'll definitely check out that build link next time I get behind a screen larger that 4.3-inches. Was hoping to collect my balanced parts last week but they weren't ready yet, now shooting for this week! Those guys are seriously busy right now, their shop is completely crammed full of engines and parts. I'll be patient in lieu of a rush job.
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
danturner266
1983 CJ7 

Just picked up all the parts from the Balancing shop, everything looks good, now to get the lower end done...

Balancing Scorecard:
balancing.jpg  
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #41
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Wow! Other than two pistons falling into the realm of "questionable but nothing to sweat", I'd say GM did a really nice job on the Vortec engines.

I really think you made a brilliant move in selecting a late-model, Vortec core.

What did you think about the article? David said that their dyno was a little "loose" and he expected their reported output was probably about 10 or so HP higher than what he normally sees.

Let us know how things progress

Shawn
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #42
danturner266
1983 CJ7 

Hey thanks Shawn. Actually I have my buddy at work Rod who is a fleet machanic to thank for that! He picked up the 2000 Chevy Van from Spaldings wanting all the electronics from it and thought I should have the motor, the company gave it to me for $100.... had a bad rod #6 from spinning the bearing and ruined the crank, but I picked up a newish crank and rods from some guy in Portland from a 305 Volvo-Penta that only had 12 hours on it. They cracked the block by not winterizing.... lucky me!!!
I am totally into the article about the Vortec build, since my engine came out of a 1-ton, I'm sure I have the hardened seats on the exhaust, but that doesn't scare me at all. In fact, I think it's a plus for what I'm going to purpose the engine for. Low end torque is totally the goal!
So, I need to pose another question...as now I need to finalize my decision on valve springs and rockers. I've been looking at a couple of sets of springs on Alex's Parts. Are you familiar with their stuff? They have 2 sets of springs for the vortec heads, one is beehive and one is not. Both look good and their previous customers seem to be pretty happy. I'm just looking for the right spring rate, seated pressure and open pressure for the valves, so I can choose the right ones. Let me know what you think! Thanks again man!
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #43
danturner266
1983 CJ7 

Shawn, hope you get to feelin better, can't let the blues take you down....if you were here, you could be enjoying one of these....
2012-04-22_18-02-08_841.jpg   2012-04-22_18-41-54_697.jpg  
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #44
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Mmmmmm

Rough weekend, buddy. I'm absolutely sick and tired of being sick and tired! I also missed the David Vizard seminar in CA this weekend where he had Joe Sherman has an honorary guest speaker. He's my second engine guru mentor.

I called David on Friday to wish him well on the seminar and to say "thanks" for checking up on me and he informed me that this will probably be his last seminar on the mainland. He's already made a commitment for one in the Bahamas but this is probably it for the 2 and 3 day seminars.

He said his daughter's racing is starting to take off, he's working like mad to finish the third book in his big block Chevy series, which is supposed to be 1,000hp stuff, he's still in the middle of a performance Holley book and he's nearly 70 years old

Well that was all it took for me to do a massive can-opener off the proverbial wagon.

Now that my tears have dried, lol, the recommended spring for your cam is Comp's part #26986-16. It has 109 pounds on the seat, 284 pounds "over the nose", the spring rate is 280 lbs/in with coil bind at 1.06.

Just compare those numbers to what is available at Alex's and see what you come up with. I'm a huge fan of beehives on hydraulic rollers!

Shawn
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #45
danturner266
1983 CJ7 

You really missed another great day here in the Inland North West! I'll let you in on it....

BTW wife and I could only eat one a piece so there are two in the fridge for leftovers...wanna come over???

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f365/...illin-1360475/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.