Rubicon axle housing bent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rubicon axle housing bent

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
trailerfab

Rubicon axle housing bent

I recently bought a 04 rubicon that has 23xxx. Original miles and was rolled. I have replaced all body parts and now I'm down to front axle housing that is bent what would be the cheapest and best way to fix this issue. It will never have over a 33" tall tire on it. Should I go to trouble of retubing the axle or sell and buy an aftermarket.

trailerfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are asking here then your only choice is to replace!
Rebuilding a messed up housing isn't a novice shade tree proposition. even if you get it straight it will be weaker and have phantom issues.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
trailerfab

I'm no shade tree mechanic I rebuild cars on the side , worked in a fab shop for twenty years narrowed 9" ford rearends. I do have the ability to do it just not sure if it's the best way to go or just start with an aftermarket housing.
trailerfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not doubting your mechanical skills. Setting up a rear end is machinist work with some pretty exact tolerances. If you had the jigs, ovens and hydraulics to do it right you wouldn't have asked here.
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

I straighten housings all the time, and it is common on many jeeps the front housings to be bent without rolling them.

What you need to do is find a competent driveline shop that does this work correctly, and then you can either leave it and go or have them truss it.

Retubing is more involved than straightening and again just like straightening without the right tools it won't be right.

Just like fab shops shortening housings and putting ends on and then no tooling or ability to straighten them when they're done, housings and tubes move all over from the heat from the weld and then need to be checked and straightened

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildriver-3 View Post
I straighten housings all the time, and it is common on many jeeps the front housings to be bent without rolling them.

What you need to do is find a competent driveline shop that does this work correctly, and then you can either leave it and go or have them truss it.

Retubing is more involved than straightening and again just like straightening without the right tools it won't be right.

Just like fab shops shortening housings and putting ends on and then no tooling or ability to straighten them when they're done, housings and tubes move all over from the heat from the weld and then need to be checked and straightened
I concur

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.