Rubi axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rubi axles

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Outy

Rubi axles

Picking up stock rubicon axles outta a 04. I'll be swapping them into a 03 jeep wrangler. Question here is... What kinda compressor will be needed to lock the stock lockers? Will any ol compressor work? I'd prefer not to spend 500$ on a arb compressor. Does anyone have pics of a stock rubicon set up? Anyone got a stock setup for sale? Kinda hard to pass this set of axles up for a cheap price of 1,300. If someone post some pics of their stock rubi stuff and a little bit of their .02 id really appreciate it! Thank you!

Outy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Stock compressor will be your best option since they are the low psi that those lockers need. Almost any other compressor you'll have to regulate pressure down.
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Outy

That's kinda what I was thinking. Would prefer not to spend the premium arb charges.
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

This touches of a question I have had for a while. Do people run the Rubi lockers on traditional on board air systems (ARB, Vlair, York)? I have been under the impression that it is difficult to regulate the pressure down low enough to safely make it work. If it does work, I would assume people are running two regulators. One at low pressure for the lockers and a second for general use.
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
This touches of a question I have had for a while. Do people run the Rubi lockers on traditional on board air systems (ARB, Vlair, York)? I have been under the impression that it is difficult to regulate the pressure down low enough to safely make it work. If it does work, I would assume people are running two regulators. One at low pressure for the lockers and a second for general use.
There definitely are people that do it, although probably not a lot because as you point out it really has to be regulated down. I don't think people bother though with a second regulator. Other things (e.g. filling tires) you just run at whatever pressure is coming off your compressor.
Unread 01-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good point regarding tank pressure for general use. I'm still learning this stuff for a future project.

I suppose at this point in time there aren't too many who have tackled the issue, since the stock pumps aren't failing in large numbers from age and replacements are still available. I figure in ten years, OBA powered Rubi lockers will become more common.
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Outy

Are rubi axles worth the money? Already planned to swap a HP30 and a 8.8 in with 37s but found these forsale and didn't wanna pass em up.
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outy View Post
Are rubi axles worth the money? Already planned to swap a HP30 and a 8.8 in with 37s but found these forsale and didn't wanna pass em up.
What's the price? Hard to say whether they are worth it without that detail.
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Outy

$1,300. Said in first post
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
$1,300. Said in first post
That is a very good price assuming all in working order. Not uncommon to see 2500-3000 for the pair. Which is crazy but people pay it.
Unread 01-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
Outy

I knew they went for a lot. I may just pick up and resale if I change my mind.
Unread 01-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I knew they went for a lot. I may just pick up and resale if I change my mind.
Just to give you context there is a guy over in TJ Tech talking about buying a set for 3600.
Unread 02-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
Outy

Stock? Or built? These are 100% stock everything.
Unread 02-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #14
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

run out and buy them immediately if they are "REAL' rubicon axles in working order.... buy them and sell them..... then build the 8.8 and hp30 with your original investment PLUS the proceeds. stock rubi axles fetch on average $2400/3000 per pair. sell them for 2500 or better and profit 1200+

and in no way is a stock d44 rubi axle a stronger than a stock 31spline 8.8 explorer axle. will a d44 hold up to 37's... nope, not for long... sure didn't do so well against my 36 iroks.

you can readily source an 8.8 with 31 splines/4.10 ratio/disc brakes/posi ready to go for less than $450 around here add $330 for an Artec bracket kit and done. now you can dump 1720 into your front and lockers etc...

lastly. stock rubi lockers operate on 5 psi. it is complicated to regulate an aftermarket air system that low. your best solution if sticking with this route is to run the stock locker pumps [takes a pair-one for each axle]

from me to you, from real life experience.. just my 0.02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #15
Winger7714

Quote:
Picking up stock rubicon axles outta a 04. I'll be swapping them into a 03 jeep wrangler. Question here is... What kinda compressor will be needed to lock the stock lockers? Will any ol compressor work? I'd prefer not to spend 500$ on a arb compressor. Does anyone have pics of a stock rubicon set up? Anyone got a stock setup for sale? Kinda hard to pass this set of axles up for a cheap price of 1,300. If someone post some pics of their stock rubi stuff and a little bit of their .02 id really appreciate it! Thank you!
Stock rub I lockers are electrical. U don't need a compressor.
Winger7714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.