Rubbing noise when driving with clutch engaged? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rubbing noise when driving with clutch engaged?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rubbing noise when driving with clutch engaged?

I am a complete newbie when it comes to jeeps (and cars in general). However, I am very good at fixing things... once I know what the problem is.

After a summer of riding with the top down I was used to the loud noise of the air going by, but once I put the top up at the beginning of winter I instantly noticed a rubbing noise coming from my drive train. I can only hear it when I am driving with the clutch engaged and the faster I am going the louder it is (so I know it's behind the transmission). I didn't think much of it because I only had the jeep for a month or so with the top up before I took it down for the summer. Now I have been driving it with the top up for a couple months and the rubbing noise has gotten louder.

I don't really like taking my car to the dealership because in the past they have completely made up problems that didn't exist - so I would love to figure this out at home. All help is appreciated.

Some info about my jeep --
It's an 04 Wrangler X. I bought it used spring of 2012 with 22k miles on it.
Everything related to the drivetrain is factory installed.
I make sure to check the fluids regularly and they don't seem to be an issue.

Last edited by kjmccar; 02-12-2013 at 11:26 PM..
kjmccar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anything?
kjmccar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hard to say. But your pretty sure it's from the trans back correct? I would start with ujoints first. There should be no play.

Try in 4hi and see if the noise gets better or worse.

Finally remove your rear DS. If there is no noise then it's DS or yoke related . If yes then it's either the rear diff or a bearing.

Also swap the front and rear tire sets. I it follows, then you may have a tire or weight issue.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.