RTV question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > RTV question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Vsweetser
2005 TJ Wrangler 

RTV question

Anyone know what the absolute lowest temperature is for the application of standard red RTV? From some research I have come up with 77F, but that is not going to happen. The temperature plummeted and I ran into some trouble removing the manifold cover, which is where the rtv is going.

indoors is not an option. I always check the weather but impulsively I decided I needed to deal with the gasket.

Not sure if this post is where it should be,

Vsweetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Manifold cover?
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsweetser
Anyone know what the absolute lowest temperature is for the application of standard red RTV? From some research I have come up with 77F, but that is not going to happen. The temperature plummeted and I ran into some trouble removing the manifold cover, which is where the rtv is going.

indoors is not an option. I always check the weather but impulsively I decided I needed to deal with the gasket.

Not sure if this post is where it should be,
I'm assuming you mean valve cover, in that case use a gasket. If not then run the item to operating temp, then shut down and apply the rtv. If that's not an option just use rtv as a temp fix and do it correctly in better weather.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I read all the data but they only give performance specs on cured at 75 for 5 days. Seattle YJ has your solution until you get it somewhere warm to get it to cure.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.