rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > rough idle

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
JustinBooth52
2006 TJ Wrangler 

rough idle

when I start my 1998 wrangler it seams to idle really rough. it cuts in an out and to the point that it will quit. it always does it no matter the eng. temp. or air temp. once I get moving it doesn't do it any more or seam sluggish. it has new fuel pump, pressure regulator, spark plugs and wires.

Unread 04-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

A good throttle body and IAC cleaning is where I'd start. No codes?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I would also check for a vacuum leak, inspect all rubber vacuum hoses. You can also spray some carb cleaner around the hoses and intake gaskets etc to aid with finding a vac leak.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
JustinBooth52
2006 TJ Wrangler 

when ever it rains and i try to start it it almost won't or i spray the engine bay with the water hoose it spudders and quits. there are not codes. I have replaced the distributer cap and spark plug wires. it just sudders while idling and quits
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Tracy1974
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check your distributor at night in a real dark area. I know u said u replaced cap and not sure on that one if the base is metal or plastic that the cap goes on but I had a truck that had a plastic base and I could see an arc at night where the current was jumping from rotor to the crack because the crack hold moisture thus causing a misfire especially in moist conditions. And I have also seen a new cap do this. You can't see the hairline crack from the eye but u will see the arc at night. Very well might not b the case for u but it won't cost anything but a minute of your time.
Tracy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.