Rolled my TJ and now it won't start please help!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rolled my TJ and now it won't start please help!!!!!!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
douglas41491
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rolled my TJ and now it won't start please help!!!!!!

I rolled my 99 tj sahara and now it wont start! Oil came out of the intake. Idk where to start! It won't even turn over

douglas41491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
adhdlacrosse16
2014 JK Wrangler 

new oil. new coolant milky. milky of coolant or oil is bad news. then check fuel and spark. then pray its not shot
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Take the spark plugs out, clean them up, turn the engine over to spray the oil out of the cylinders, replace cleaned and gapped spark plugs, clean the oil off the engine, then try to restart. it'll smoke as the oil in the intake runners gets drawn back into the combustion chambers a little bit. You'll need to add some more oil, btw.

And hope you didn't bend a valve trying to start it with it hydrolocked.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
douglas41491
1999 TJ Wrangler 

my intake manifold had alot of oil in it but i had a little hand pump and got most of it out. would it be a good idea to remove it and clean it or just wing it and save myself the headache
douglas41491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
. . . And hope you didn't bend a valve trying to start it with it hydrolocked.
Or worse.

You should have pulled the plugs and blown the oil out of the cylinders before turning the engine over. You could very well be on the market for a new engine now.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Jkanly

Once an engine has been turned upside down, oil gathers and seeps around the piston rings into the combustion chamber and eventually flow into the intake. I doubt you damaged anything on your attempted start up due to the fact that it "wouldn't even turn over". Which leads me to believe that the cylinder was fully filled with oil, saving you in the long run. The starter motor will not have enough power on it's own to bend valves in my experience. Follow the aforementioned steps to clear the cylinder of oil, clean the plugs, and also refill the crankcase with oil.

Heres a more relevant question: At the point that the jeep was turned over, how long did it run? Did you physically turn it off by way of the key?

Chris
l---L 0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
HandsOn

If the starter engages but the engine won't fire, there's a good chance you tripped a fuel shut-off safety switch. These vehicles have them, correct? If so, look for a reset switch for that.

If the starter is not even engaging, then maybe some neutral safety switch or clutch interlock switch got damaged or the wires crossed? You have an automatic or manual trans?

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Jkanly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOn
If the starter engages but the engine won't fire, there's a good chance you tripped a fuel shut-off safety switch. These vehicles have them, correct? If so, look for a reset switch for that.

If the starter is not even engaging, then maybe some neutral safety switch or clutch interlock switch got damaged or the wires crossed? You have an automatic or manual trans?

Paul

Jeeps do not have a inertia/reset switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas41491
I rolled my 99 tj sahara and now it wont start! Oil came out of the intake. Idk where to start! It won't even turn over
To the OP, Did you get it started? Keep us updated
l---L 0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
fire2fire
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You would most likely break a push rod before bending avalve stem. Pull your plugs (drain any extra oil) then take off your valvecover and make sure you didn’t bend or break and of your push rods (not that bigof a deal).

GOOD LUCK
fire2fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
HandsOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkanly View Post
Jeeps do not have a inertia/reset switch.
Well bummer. Would'a been nice if it had been something simple like that.
I'd heard that they didn't at one point in the past, but wasn't sure.

Thanks

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 liter , engine , roll over valve , rolled

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.