Rochester 2-Jet: Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rochester 2-Jet: Starting Problems

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
rtflew
1986 CJ7 

Rochester 2-Jet: Starting Problems

I have a 1986 CJ-7 running a 258 with a Rochester 2-Jet carb on it. I've had it for about 5 years now, and the PO had let it sit for about 18 months before that. The carb has always run a bit rough, so I finally semi-tore it down last night to give it a thorough cleaning - took off the top of the carb, removed all the parts I could like jets & idle screws to clean, lots of carb spray, etc., even filled the bowl with Seafoam and let it sit for 10 mins before start up. When it restarted (after all of the smoke from the sea foam cleared) it seemed to run as good as it ever has! Even set the idle needle screw mix deals (had them at 3 turns out as starting point - engine RPM's dropped at 1.5 turns in so turned them back out another 1.5 turns. That was the best imitation I could do of the few instructions I could find on-line to set those)

Drove it today and it ran even better. As soon as I stopped somewhere and came back out to do a warm re-start, it did not want to start. It took a good 5-10 cranks and had to have pedal to the floor to get it to start. Took the air cleaner off to confirm that gas was squirting into carb when I pushed on the throttle arm, so that seems okay.

For complete disclosure, I also changed Fuel Filter & air filter last night, and put in new spark plugs about a week ago. Engine has an HEI on it.

Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? I'm considering just buying a carb rebuild kit and fully tearing it down to be on the safe side, unless others have a better suggestion?

Thanks!

RT

Unread 04-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
rtflew
1986 CJ7 

Ordered a Carb Kit today - Holley 3-780 for my carb it looks like, only numbers I could find on the carb are from Holley rebuilding it (64/7030) - Can't find any original Rochester numbers anywhere on it, just the GM Rochester 2-Jet on top. Unless any suggestions, I'll see if that clears things up. I'm a bit worried I might have a bit of a gasket leak, too - looks like after the thorough cleaning the other day that the drivers-side of the carb is a bit "wet" just below the gasket. Would a gasket leak cause difficulty with warm re-starts?

Thanks!

RT

Tags
carb , cj7 , rochester

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.