ring gear problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > ring gear problems

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
nyoffroad

ring gear problems

After a couple of not so good popping noise and then no movement in any gear i decided to crack open the rear diff. on my d35 today. I seem to have broken every ring gear bolt off inside the ring gear so.....can i just get a ring gear and how hard is the fix?

Rock-it air intake
more to come in future
nyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If the ring gear is clean (the pinion as well) other than the bolts and the holes in the carrier ain't wallowed, you can re-bolt the ring gear up and run a picture to check contact. If there is damage to the carrier, you will have to replace it. This means resetting the picture by changing the backlash. If the ring gear is damaged and you need to replace it, you will have to replace the pinion as well. This will entail resetting the pinion depth as well as the backlash. A job best left to the experts.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
nyoffroad

ok well to be quite honest everything is damaged all the gear teeth have been chewed up by the bolts that snapped off, the bottom of my diff after draining was full of little metal shards the inside of the diff. cover has a bunch of deep scratches from top to bottom. It is a huge mess thanks for the response though
Rock-it air intake
more to come in future
nyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.