Residual antifreeze in the gas tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Residual antifreeze in the gas tank

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
c_cwilliams
2001 WJ 

Residual antifreeze in the gas tank

Yesterday, I was driving my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and ran out of gas. Needing something to fill with gas to bring back to my jeep, I took a gallon container of antifreeze, dumped out ALL of the antifreeze, made sure there was not a drop in it and filled the container half full with gas to bring back with me. When I put the half gallon of gas in my truck and started it, it would not start, was only cranking. Eventually after many tries, it started, drove two miles down the road, then died.

It hasn't started since.

I do believe that antifreeze can screw up combustion in your engine, but I believe it would be several ounces plus, not some residual film of it possibly left on the sides of the container unless I'm mistaken

Anyone have any answers to this problem, solutions?

Thanks!

c_cwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Add more gas,at least 2-3 gallons and try again.Running dry you could have fried the fuel pump also.

1/2 gallon is nowhere near enough to prime the system and run for very long or very good.
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

1/2 gallon is nowhere near enough to prime the system and run for very long or very good.
Bingo!!
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
c_cwilliams
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Add more gas,at least 2-3 gallons and try again.Running dry you could have fried the fuel pump also.

Thanks for your reply.

It seems I've gotten into a bad habit of doing this, 'cause I ran out of gas back in March. Then, I only had a 20 oz water bottle to fill with gas and put in to make it to the gas station. 20 oz was enough to prime and run for about a mile down the road to the gas station believe it or not.

Also, the fuel pump is working still, I can hear the priming whine and hear gas being sucked up.

Going to spray starter fluid in the throttle body tonight, see if it kicks over and is somehow just not getting fuel.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
c_cwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
JonCorwin968
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you put more gas in it yet? Also try running a fuel system cleaner in your gas. Sometimes when you run dry crud on the bottom of your tank gets sucked up.
JonCorwin968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.