Replacing head gasket and everything is out...how to clean? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Replacing head gasket and everything is out...how to clean?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing head gasket and everything is out...how to clean?

So i blew my head gasket and now i am replacing said gasket. I have the head, intake manifold and throttle body all laid out on my work bench and they are pretty gross.

I have heard all kinds of things on how to clean but i would love just a clear answer.

1) What can i use? I know its an iron head and not as soft as aluminum.

2) Where can i find the cleaning solvents?

3) what are the best tools to use?

4) do i need to remove the valves?

Now questions on how i go about deciding the re install

1) to mill or not to mill?

2) should i just call it a day and get an exchange head?

3) can i just re-install the old head with new gasket and bolts and do a compression test with nothing hooked up? If its good then am i in the clear?

Any help would be awesome....just trying to figure out where to go from here.

2003 Wrangler Rubicon Intense Blue- 4" Rough Country X-Series lift - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Currie RockJock V-Bumper and Rock Crawler Rear bumper - Badlands 12K winch - Tom Woods DS - KC Slimlites - KC Headlight conversion with 4300K HID - 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2 on Rubicon Wheels
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would take the head to a machine shop and have them give it a good going over. They will clean it and check it for warpage, cracks, and check the valves/seats. I'd clean the mating surface of the block with some scotch brite and run a tap in the head bolt threads to clean them up. (Buy new head bolts while you're at it) As far as the intake goes just use some engine cleaner on it to clean it up. Just remember to take your time and think everything through.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
ShaysXJnc

I just replaced the head on my 96 XJ with a one from a 97 zj. Took it to a machine shop where I paid about $100 for a complete milling and test of it... Very worth it. I didn't want to do all the work of pulling the head, having the exhaust off etc only for it not to work. Do all the freeze plugs while you're at it, too. It's cheap, easy, quick, and you might as eel do it now.

And I clean everything with break cleaner. Also, is your jeep sitting outside or in a temp controlled environment while you have everything taken off of it? Make sure you are aware of the moisture that will accumulate, and if surface rust happens, I use a little ATF to polish it clean.

Hope that helps some.

I forgot, the only tool I did not have that I needed was a torque wrench, but borrowed one from a neighbor. I should prob buy one seeing as I've done the head on my XJ twice now
ShaysXJnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Took mine in today to get checked...cracked. Went and exchanged it for a "new" one for 300$.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon Intense Blue- 4" Rough Country X-Series lift - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Currie RockJock V-Bumper and Rock Crawler Rear bumper - Badlands 12K winch - Tom Woods DS - KC Slimlites - KC Headlight conversion with 4300K HID - 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2 on Rubicon Wheels
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good deal, when will you have it back up and running?

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got most of it back on today after work...should get the exhaust and intake on and then off to the races. 400$ was not too bad for the entire top end of the engine to be replaced. Shop quoted 2k "at the minimum". My wife always says "why dont you have someone else do it and save yourself the time?" and i show her the bill and then suddenly its cool if i do it and acquire new tools in the process that i "need". yeah...
Unread 09-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

LOL I hear ya on the tools. Yeah, the director of finances can be a little difficult to convince sometimes, but like you said look how much you saved by doing it yourself. It's also a great feeling saying "I did that".

My onboard air build.
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Everything works...got it all back in and running fine. FYI...Easy Off oven cleaner did the trick. Sprayed it into the intake manifold (take all the sensors off before hand) and let it sit for a few hours then hit it with a power washer and it got it CLEAN. thanks for all the help guys!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.