replace 4cyl engine with 6cyl engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > replace 4cyl engine with 6cyl engine

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-22-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
eastwood

replace 4cyl engine with 6cyl engine

has anyone done this, or thought about doing this. i got a great deal on a 1999 tj, problem is the 4cyl engine just doesnt do it for me. i want to replace the 4cyl with a 6cyl.

eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
hjeepxj

itll be easier to just buy a 6 cyl, I think that you have to modify the fender wells, and front end...seeing as how the 6 cyl is 2 cyl longer...

hjeepxj0.tripod.com

"Im okay, im alright, just might get a little high tonight, im okay, im alright, CARRY ON!"

-Pat Green
hjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

You don't have to modify the fenderwells or front end. The TJ came with both a 4 and 6 from the factory.

It is more an issue of engine mounts, tranny mount, etc. It can be done....if the deal is that good on the 4-cyl..... However, consider the extra cost involved in a swap first, tho, before buying it to save $$$. It could end up costing more to swap than to go with a 6 to start out with.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
hjeepxj

Quote:
Originally posted by 4wheeler4CJ
You don't have to modify the fenderwells or front end. The TJ came with both a 4 and 6 from the factory.

It is more an issue of engine mounts, tranny mount, etc. It can be done....if the deal is that good on the 4-cyl..... However, consider the extra cost involved in a swap first, tho, before buying it to save $$$. It could end up costing more to swap than to go with a 6 to start out with.
I guess youre right, I was thinking of the eary model xjs (thats where my head is) ts still expensive though....

hjeepxj0.tripod.com

"Im okay, im alright, just might get a little high tonight, im okay, im alright, CARRY ON!"

-Pat Green
hjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

Yeh, I wouldn't do swaps like that on newer vehicles when other models already came with the 6. Swapping to a V-8 or something is another issue, tho.

However, I noticed in his other post that he decided against the swap, a smart move in my opinion.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2003, 08:19 PM   #6
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

V8 swaps are, i my opinion, best suited to trail rigs that don't have to conform to the CARB rules and guidelines. I would love to drop a V8 in a YJ or even my XJ, but I wouldn't want to mess with making it legal.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.