repair pricing on Rear Main Oil Seal Blues.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > repair pricing on Rear Main Oil Seal Blues..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-29-2002, 06:14 PM   #1
evilpsych

repair pricing on Rear Main Oil Seal Blues..

OK.. what has everyone spent on this when they did it? I've gotten quotes from all over the county.. lowest was $255, highest was over $700... Come on.. surely there can't be this much division in pricing on this job? Of course.. when you take into effect that all mechanics only lie when they're awake, I'm surprised I didnt get a quote over $1,000 for the job.. One schmuck tried to tell me that it was a 10 hour job to pull the tranny and oil-pan..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2002, 09:11 PM   #2
Bulletproofcj7

Was that the blind one armed mechanic?
I've heard of him!
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2002, 09:21 PM   #3
evilpsych

heh yeah.. the jeep dealer called about an hour ago.. said $350 to replace it.. parts, labor and the required oil change.. I'm still waiting on the price from my local 4x4 shop that probably has replacing these down to NASCAR pit-crew times.. they were closed so I left a message.. Still.. $350 from a dealer.. damn.. this would be a first that the dealer was the cheapest repair shop for a specific repair.. seems mechanics hear "yes... it's a 4x4 vehicle" and get that big sh*t eating grin because they know they can jack up their prices 100% even though the vehicle is far easier to work on than a front-wheel-drive rice-mobile....

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
Unread 03-30-2002, 08:13 AM   #4
4wheeler4CJ

What vehicle are you doing it on? I never had to pull the tranny on my '77 258 whenever I did the rear-main, or anything where I had to drop the pan. Are the mechanics telling you that or is your configuration such that you really need to?

What you're finding with all the different prices, is what happens, because some mechanics are willing to do the job, so it's a reasonable price, others really don't want to, and don't wanna tell you that, so they give you a price that would make them happy if they had to do it, and still others just don't have a clue what's involved, so they just throw out a price that has no real substance, LOL!

Sucks, huh?
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2002, 10:20 AM   #5
evilpsych

yeah yeah it does..

oh it's a 93 YJ w/ 4.0 and 5speed stick

Unread 04-01-2002, 07:47 AM   #6
TJs96XJ

Avg. cost is $350.00 to $450.00, if it is anything like my 96xj get the book and do it yourself, you will be happy that you did. Parts and oil,filter gaskets etc. was about $35.00. You dont drop the trans, its to easy, but if you need to have someone else do it $350.00 is about the price, beside you could always used the $$$ on gooodies for JEEP!
"96" Cherokee Country 3.5 RE Lift IT REALLY IS A JEEP THING!!!!!!! $3,100 wish list down from $4,600 God made earth in 6 days and went WHEELINNG on the 7th
TJs96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2002, 09:34 PM   #7
evilpsych

ok.. i can just drop the oilpan correct? i've got the 4.0.. so i'm not sure.

once I get it off.. should i clean the junction between the tranny and the seal out really well w/ brake cleaner so there's a good clean area for mounting the seal? or does just wiping it down work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.