Removing plugs from the head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Removing plugs from the head

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
DaemonForce

Removing plugs from the head

I hate whenever I run into this kind of thing but for me it's an ongoing problem when simply dissembling a tired engine. I've cleared out a 4.0L block and the last struggle I had to solve by taking it to a machine shop. Apparently the fact that I'm the only builder that doesn't have a torch means that I still have to get help from others to remove something as small and insignificant as the small pipe plugs that take a 5/16" square.

This is where I'm having trouble only it's no longer the block but the head. If any of you have ever disassembled the HEAD you would know what I'm talking about. Those 6 probably 5/8" square fitting plugs are stuck to the head almost as if welded on. I've tried manually pulling them but fear I might strip them. I've tried putting an air wrench on them at 140psi but they don't budge. Do these need to be removed the same way as the other pipe plugs? These are a real pain and I'm pretty sure I need to remove them before shipping the head off to the hot tank.

DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I've never removed them. Why?

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
DaemonForce

I'm doing a COMPLETE teardown of the 4.0L and I'm extremely paranoid about any surprises I might have after giving this engine a bath. I'm extremely comfortable modifying components in the block but the head is quite serious. Anyone can throw together a 4.6/4.7L monster by swapping a few engine components but I want to redo the entire thing from top to bottom just because I'm sick of fighting my grandpa and everything he did to my 4.2L that eventually led to it overheating and blowing up.

Just to clear up any vague points, all you need to really know is that I've fought an engine non-stop because of "professional mechanic" noise and once I get this engine built, that's the end of that noise. If it blows up, my fault. If not, I don't have to put up with harassment from my family anymore. There's a sort of validation thing in there but mostly, if anything goes wrong with it, I'll immediately understand what and why.

Right now the plan is to remove everything non-essential to the engine, get the block and head in the hot tank and then start measuring, boring and building. I can't afford to lose momentum anywhere in this process because my time is so precious. I should have been finished with this engine and out of this dump last year. I have until the end of this year and if I screw this up I'm done with the car, as in just pancake it.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

IMHO, you're being overzealous and overreacting about previous experiences. Your choice, but I've built a few 4.0s.
One I built from 3 different engines. Runs great to this day. Never removed those plugs.

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
DaemonForce

Okay, maybe I don't have to remove the pipe plugs but if there were some kind of pinhole leak or anything stupid like that, what would be the process for fixing that?
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
Okay, maybe I don't have to remove the pipe plugs but if there were some kind of pinhole leak or anything stupid like that, what would be the process for fixing that?
Pinhole leak where? Those are tapered pipe plugs. Quite thick.

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
DaemonForce

You're right. I guess it couldn't happen. This is probably the only topic about this in existence which means nobody even thinks about doing this. I'll move on.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Save your energy for the big things. Those plugs were never meant to be removed....they were part of the casting process.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADWOLF View Post
Save your energy for the big things. Those plugs were never meant to be removed....they were part of the casting process.
Yep. True stuff^^ right there.

Unread 10-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

May be its time to get a torch set up?

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.