Removing diff gaskets. . .any tips or tricks to make it easier??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Removing diff gaskets. . .any tips or tricks to make it easier???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Removing diff gaskets. . .any tips or tricks to make it easier???

Do any of you guys have any tips or tricks to make getting diff gaskets off of the diff cover?

I get so tired of sitting there with a razor blade trying to get all of it off. . .I've tried spraying/soaking with de-greaser, wire brushes (haven't tried it with a power tool yet, I'm out of wire wheels), razor blades, even tried 150 grit sandpaper and that didn't work either.

I just finished getting 90% of it off of my D60 front axle and I'm hoping somebody will have a tip to speed up the process on the 14-bolt rear axle.

Thanks!

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
350SBC/TH350/NP205, 14-bolt rear/D60 front
40" BFG MTR's on H2 8-lugs
atomicjoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
ET48
1986 CJ7 

I usually just use the wire wheel on the grinder lightly. Takes all of 30 seconds.

But using a razor blade isn't too bad.
ET48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
ojhk
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use a wire wheel on a right angle grinder
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I use a wire wheel also,i also have a plastic type grinder wheel with little nubs on it,works PERFECT for old gaskets,but i don't where to get them,i've been fortunate enough to have a Millwright give me a box.
In the past if i didn't have a wire wheel,i've used paint stripper and it works wonders,softens the gasket up and scrapes right up.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Try a sharpened putty knife. This usually works well on both the lid and the axle housing.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use a razor on the diff itself and a wirewheel on the diff cover, stupid easy to get it all off. The wire wheels I use aren't hard enough to really gouge the cover but it takes the RTV off with ease. I've used the plastic nub wheels as well at work and they work really well but they will take away metal from the diff cover, more than the wire wheels would. I was surprised to find this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Try using silicone/adhesive only on the diff cover. The gasket will only be stuck to the cover and can be moved to the bench for removal with a wire brush equipped grinder.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. . .I figured a wire wheel would work, but I didn't want to damage the sealing surfaces and I was out of wire wheels.

This isn't something I was messing with a ton when I was working on musclecars, but now that I'm in the off-road world I'm thinking that I'm gonna be doing it a LOT more often. Taking the time to do it with a razor blade wasn't too bad when I was only messing with a diff maybe once a year, but any more than that and it's just a waste of time.

I think you can get those plastic nub wheels at Eastwood.

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
350SBC/TH350/NP205, 14-bolt rear/D60 front
40" BFG MTR's on H2 8-lugs
atomicjoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Back from the dead (maybe)..

A buddy told me to stuff some papertowel into the diff itself, to prevent crap from scraping getting in the gears. Wondered if anyone had thoughts.
nibblesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibblesupreme View Post
Back from the dead (maybe)..

A buddy told me to stuff some papertowel into the diff itself, to prevent crap from scraping getting in the gears. Wondered if anyone had thoughts.
I do this as its easy and does keep stuff out, although have always wondered realistically what harm would RTV scrapings do if they got in the gears?
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Buy Lube Locker gaskets and be done with it...

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not trying to hijack this tread but honestly it's been dead for a year so what the hell.. I guess I am.

Removing the junk from the differential and noticed some rust was removed and it doesn't look too good. I got that lube locker but is this going to be a problem?
nibblesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.