ReMan ZJ 4.0 Runs Great....with a glitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > ReMan ZJ 4.0 Runs Great....with a glitch

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
soslame
1998 ZJ 

ReMan ZJ 4.0 Runs Great....with a glitch

98 Grand Cherokee with 180+K miles lost a cylinder...frankly ran pretty good on five, but being perfectionist who likes compression on all six, decided to try guaranteed reman 4.0, because it made the most $ sense if I wanted to keep the car. The Jeep was in all ways a Keeper. Along with the rebuilt motor, replaced EVERY accessory and anything else I normally put in new for my other (non-Jeep) rebuilds.

New motor didn't want to run nice, until a Carquest rebuilt PCM was installed. Previously it ran wonderfully on 5-of-6 with never a light or code on the original computer. I was not present when the decision to toss the old PCM went down, sadly. Went through THREE PCMs from Carquest, until we got one that worked reasonably well...which also ended up costing a pricy factory reflash by local Jeep dealer's service department. Motor's broken in, runs swell, but keeps spitting up engine lite and P1901 Cam or Cranksensor Lost code. Every sensor was new. Every sensor was replaced. Car continues to run swell, but lite continues to reappear. Finally (shudder) consulted dealer. They insisted aftermarket sensors were the problem and hi-dollar Chrysler beauties would fix this little irritant. Several hundred dollars later, with both cam and crank sensors replaced yet again, car continued to run wonderfully....with recurring engine lite/P1901 code, of course. Over 600 miles on the motor, first oil change and other inspections reveal all is well. I'm sure the dealer will next happily tell me the $1000 factory computer is needed.

But I'm the skeptical sort. I see many "guranteed or money back" flashed/rebuilt PCMs for this 4.0 on ebay, etc, for cheap bucks. But I like to tinker, and hate wasting money on things that work well (like straight six engines) for stupid things that don't (like engine warn lites/nuisance code puking pcms)

Apologize for the long intro, but I'm just naturally blabby and like to hear the tapping of keyboards. If I've violated some village code of conduct, well, it will be the first and last time, I'm sure. I honestly couldn't find a thread like this, but I'm no expert on the forums...

Any thoughts, been-there-done-that's out there, useful insights?

Last edited by soslame; 04-25-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: content
soslame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , cam position sensor , check engine light , crank position sensor , electrical issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.