Regearing for bigger tires... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Regearing for bigger tires...

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
roadracer321
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Regearing for bigger tires...

Im new to Jeeps and to this forum, and I want to get a lift and 33s for my 05 Wrangler Sport. My question here is, the 05 has a 6 speed tranny now. The gear ratio is now different compared to the old 5 speed trannys. I think mine is something like a 4.46:1 where as the older ones are 3.83:1... I could be wrong. But if this is true, will I need to regear, or will this ratio be ok? Unfortunately, I travel a lot in my jeep, 60-70mph is not uncommon, and I do climb several steep hills at those speeds. So I dont want to have to use 4th to climb. I referenced the gear ratios from this site. http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z..._Wrangler.aspx

Thanks in advance.

roadracer321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is the best place to look at gear ratios. http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

You don't say what ratio you have now, is it 3.07 or 3.73. You can check your ratio by looking for the tag @ the 9 o'clock position on the differential cover, the second line of numbers sould begin with the ratio.

There has been some discussion that with the 6 speed and 33's 4.10 might be the better option due to the lower first gear and overdrive of 0.84. With my five speed, 4.56 is definitely the right gear.

If you have 3.07 gears you will definitely want to regear sooner rather then later. If you have 3.73's it may be liveable long term but it will depend on the highway performance you want and the type of wheeling you do.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.