Regear - fuel milage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Regear - fuel milage

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
StaceyChambers
2011 JK Wrangler 

Regear - fuel milage

Ok I know I am probably beating the crap out of a dead horse, and I am sorry for that, but I just need a good straight answer.

I bought my 99 TJ used and it already had a four inch suspension lift and a three inch body lift on 35's. It still has the 373 gears. I am getting about 11mpg. I have always felt like I had a loss of power somewhere.

Can those of you that have gone from the 373 to the 488 on 35's tell me what difference you experienced and if you would advise me to make the change. What type of mpg difference can I possibly expect?

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

definitely go for it, though you may have other issues causing that low fuel economy. i have 33s on 3.73 and still get 18-20. did you replace your speedometer gear? that would give you an lower number when you calculate it. 35s on 3.73 you also pretty much don't use overdrive... 4.10s are probably bare minumum but 4.88s give it plenty of power and up in the 17+ mpg range
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

this may help you visualize the situation: try starting off from stop in 2nd gear. think of that as your current setup. regearing would be a lot like starting off in 1st gear.

you would certainly get more power, less wear, and less strain on the engine. with 4.88s you can actually use overdrive any time you're up to speed. the key is your engine uses less effort to move the wheels so as long as its not too out of proportion you will gain power and fuel economy
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
StaceyChambers
2011 JK Wrangler 

I havent changed my speedometer gear, I am guesstimating it at 11-12mpg. its actually calculating out to be 10.5. Its my DD and at $3.80 and rising I am starting to stress over my milage. It is starting to slow down my travels in my jeep and we all know that is a BAD thing. I think i also have a small exhaust manifold leak but the exhaust shop swears that I dont...... 17+ is my goal.... i would be happy with that since that is what a typical truck would give me. Thanks for the input
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You definitely need to regear, another cheaper thing you may consider is removing the 3 BL because it is ugly and causing you to have more wind resistance, and getting 1" BL to replace it.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
StaceyChambers
2011 JK Wrangler 

I know your right about the 3"BL being wind drag but Im kinda partial to it so for now I am gonna stick with it. but thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else have any been there done that regearing?

Tags
mpg , regear

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.