Rebuild or Replace 4.0??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rebuild or Replace 4.0???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
lone_lobos
1999 WJ 

Rebuild or Replace 4.0???

So, I have a 1999 WJ 4.0 with 250K on it. It runs pretty darn good still, but it's been having obvious old age problems. Replacing a lot of sensors, recent misfiring, and minor leaks. No big deal really. However, I recently went to replace the oil pressure sensor AGAIN, and accidentally snapped it off at the threads leaving a hole in my block. The easy out snapped off in it, JB Weld didn't hold...yatta yatta. I came to the conclusion that I'll need to pull the engine to repair it since the compartment is too small to get tools in there. But then I thought, if I'm pulling it, I could rebuild it and replace a lot vital parts. And then I thought further, why not do the same with a lower mileage engine and put that in there instead. I found a few engines for sale around $1200 with 130-140k miles on them. I'm just stuck on wondering if spending a grand plus parts on a newer engine is worth the money, or if the mighty straight six is reliable enough to let me sleep at night. Looking for thoughts, comments, past experiences, ect. Thanks!

lone_lobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
shadsjeep
1999 WJ 

I am in process right now on pulling my 99 with 243k. Mine hasba broken piston skirt on #5. I have been pricing out parts myself. I think I may go with my local engine shop 1200.00 includes master rebuild parts and machining but I put engine together. My block looks good for the mileage
shadsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
blakeg38135
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thats kinda pricy dude a buddy just put a hole in his block about 2 weeks ago so we went to the local junkyard pulled a 4.0 out of a cherokee didnt know how it ran b4 but anyway took it apart rebuilt the head new pistons an had the crank turned new seals, gaskets and bearings resurficed flywheel all together new motor $846.89
blakeg38135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
shadsjeep
1999 WJ 

Thanks I thought a bit pricey too. I can get a reman for 1650. So 1200 in parts and machining I thought was much.
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

V8!
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
shadsjeep
1999 WJ 

Gonna stick with that 4.0. Maybe price around the machine shop prices. Can get rebuild kits online for around 500
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
lone_lobos
1999 WJ 

yea, since the original post, i did a ton of research and made some phone calls. it seems really cost effective to do a full rebuild, and bore it. may as well, i know i want to keep this jeep for a long time. figure a little extra juice would be fun. and i'm sure i'll sleep a lot better knowing i didn't roll the dice on a salvage. thanks for the input!
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
shadsjeep
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_lobos View Post
yea, since the original post, i did a ton of research and made some phone calls. it seems really cost effective to do a full rebuild, and bore it. may as well, i know i want to keep this jeep for a long time. figure a little extra juice would be fun. and i'm sure i'll sleep a lot better knowing i didn't roll the dice on a salvage. thanks for the input!
I am with you on this one. I will be doing a full rebuild also. This is not my daily driver so no rush. May as well do it right. What did you get for prices at your local shop? My quote at 1200.00 included master rebuild parts and clean block boring /crank work, rods xhecked press new pistons measuring/install bearings all I have to do is assemble.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
lone_lobos
1999 WJ 

this is the one i'm going to http://www.westernenginesupply.com/wesi2_002.htm they list their prices. i haven't asked about getting a deal on a master kit through them yet, i'm guessing around 1200-1300. pricey, but i'll have a performance grade engine in the end. and the experience wouldn't hurt.
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
shadsjeep
1999 WJ 

I am going to finish pulling the block out tomorrow. Then put it on the stand and really see what I have. In the reading here some people are ok with fixing what is needed and others do the full rebuild if it needs it or not. I really didnt want to spent more then 500-1000. The least I will do is hone cylinders replace pistons and timing set and se where I am at with bearings. Thats on the cheap.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.