Rear Transmission Extension Housing..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rear Transmission Extension Housing..?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
GreyfoxVt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Transmission Extension Housing..?

OK, I have an interesting issue here. It seems I have placed a replacement AX5 transmission on my rig, (a 95 YJ), which has a different size rear extension housing on the transmission. I have replaced the seal twice in three days, and my dealer states there is a 1/4" difference in the new transmission and the old one where it connects to the transfer case, and the seller of the transmission indicates this could be the sizing of that original rear extension housing. In any case, neither of these gus have ever heard of this before, and they recommend I just unbolt and replace the extension from the original transmission.

Generally speaking this is not too tough of a job, but my question is have any of you ever heard of this before?

By the way, the new transmission runs like a dream (smooth…), but it is leaking a lot of oil, and needs a remedy! I welcome your comments…

GreyfoxVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
GreyfoxVt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

AX5 Transmission rear end not the same!

Well they were right, the rear of the transmission was NOT the same as the original one on my 1995 YJ! There was a two inch depressed seal on the replacement, whcih was not working with my existing converter. As recommended, I removed the rear of the original transmission case, and replaced the new case end with the original, and after bolting it all together, WOW! It all worked just fine.

I wanted to pass along the notes I used to replace this in case any one of you have a similar problem. Just remember, measure the rear end depth to the seal before any reassembly of a replacement transmission, or you too will suffer major oil issues.

1. Have Transmission in neutral.
2. This rear housing is only a shell, nothing complicated.
3. Remove shifter and transfer case.
4. Remove 2 large nuts that are located on each side at top where shifter was.
5. Inside remove 12mm bolt on shaft. At rear remove 10mm allen head bolt and slide shaft thru.
6. Shifter finger can now be wiggled out.
7. Next remove t40 bolt cap on pass side. (There will be a spring and ball with it.)
8. The only things remaining are the housing bolts.
9. It’s all actually very simple.
10. When you have remover the housing look at where the finger fit into the 3 linkages.
11. Make sure they're all in line, which is neutral.
12. You can practice on your old transmission first.

No problem...
GreyfoxVt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.