Rear Seal Blues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rear Seal Blues

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-08-2001, 01:36 PM   #1
Guy

Rear Seal Blues

Hey all...
I have an 89 with a straight 6 in it and the rear seal is about to crap out. This engine has about 175k on it now and it is a bit tired but runs basically good.
Question - is it worth replacing the rear seal or should I be considering something more elaborate, like a rebuilt engine? I just don't know how much it will cost to do the seal.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2001, 06:34 PM   #2
Willis91YJ

Just do it yourself... Jeeps... always an adventure. No seriously it's not all that difficult if you are talking about the rear main oil seal. Let me know

Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2001, 07:34 PM   #3
JeeperJay

Just wondering..how exactly do you go about changing a rear main seal? I've never done it before and don't need to yet. I'm just curious.
Unread 09-28-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's not that hard at all. Just drop the oil pan down enough to get at the seal. Do have a Chilton's manual (or equivalent) handy before-hand, though. It's not difficult, but you will be thankful for the step-by-step instructions in the Chilton's book.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2001, 08:12 PM   #5
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Just make SURE it really is the rear seal! I thought my 196,000 miler was leaking there, it turned out to be the adapter that the oil filter screws onto. The oil was running backward along a ridge and dripping off the rear seal area.

Take it to the car wash, clean it and then wipe it down with a cloth. I lay underneath mine and totaly cleaned it. Then started it and lay there to see where the oil was coming from. Sure was nice to see a tiny wetness on that oil filter mounting adapter!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2001, 09:51 PM   #6
Willis91YJ

Hey jeeper jay,
Sorry about not responding but Iguess I totally forgot about this thread. Night claw pretty much broke it down for ya. If you plan on doing it and need some info and have a fax let me know. I have all the books and can fax you the info. I learned the expensive way that some books leave the fun stuff out. I have a haynes, chilton, and now after doing the ring and pinion switch (I'll never do that again) I have a factory book too. Let me know if you need anything.
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2001, 07:36 AM   #7
whatarush

I do not consider myself a mechanic, but I believe my rear main seal is leaking. I went under my jeep and I can see the fly wheel spinning. I have a chilton manual and I noticed two things it may be. On an 89 4.2 6cyl there is a gasket for the oil pan and then there is the rear main seal. I believe it must be the rear main seal. Getting back to my first point. I am not a mechanic, but I do have access to a shop and all the tools I need. I am willing to try but I don't want to f*#! up my jeep. For the rear main seal, Chilton says I must remove the transmission. Some of the responces I saw to my inquiry in the YJ forum said I will not have too.
Any in put would be appreciated.
rbdunn1@yahoo.comnull
whatarush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2001, 06:03 PM   #8
JL

Mine's a CJ (86) but with the same engine. My rear main seal leaked pretty bad. I had to remove the trans and flywheel to get at it. FUN! The most aggravating part was breaking the bolts loose holding the flywheel on. Impact wrench did nothing, but the highest psi I could get out of my compressor was 120. Eventually I managed to wedge a screwdriver so the flywheel and crankshaft were immobilized. Then a socket wrench with a piece of pipe slipped over the handle for leverage popped them loose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.