Rear main oil leak. Worth replacing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rear main oil leak. Worth replacing?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
xxxxxxxTunesUpTopDown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rear main oil leak. Worth replacing?

My rear main seal is leaking. Veeerry slowly. Couple drops a week. My drain plug on the tranny is drippin also, a little heavier. Ive been looking all over. Where can I find a replacement 1993 jeep wrangler HO 4.0 I6 5 speed manual transmission,drain plug. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

xxxxxxxTunesUpTopDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd just wrap the threads on the drain plug with some teflon tape and call it a day.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My rear main seal was the same way, a couple drops a week for about 1.5 years. Then I went on a 4 hour drive to my parents and started to smell oil burning, it was the rear main slowly dripping on the exhaust... Then I knew I had to change it, didnt want to be in a bad situation when it really gave out. I would say keep an eye on it and keep checking the oil weekly then if something happens just be prepared to $ or since you have time read up on how to do it. It's farely simple just time consuming.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I'd be looking up above first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak yourself. Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob love to tell you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it? A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon just yet.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "***** flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 8-15-2012
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.