rear end troube - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > rear end troube

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 10-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #46
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds reasonable. Is that why Chevy uses those gear driven lockers?

Unread 10-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #47
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

That eaton g lock screws up.constantly, lol got 1 of them being removed this week too.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #48
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I may offer my opinion, the D35 is actually a pretty good axle and performs well within its design limits. This axle was used in millions of TJs, XJs, YJs and ZJs over a long period of time. This includes all non towing package ZJs with a 5.2 V8. If it was anywhere near as bad as what is regurgitated on the internet, we would see jeeps with broken axles littering the sides of the road daily across North America.

I constantly see posts about the tubes being so weak.....same tubes as a 44. Coke can metal brackets....same brackets as a 44. Ring and pinion junk...tell that to the bunch running S35 kits at Johnson Valley.

The D35 will break. No doubt. Most failures come from flex across the length of the housing. This will snap shafts near the splines or break spider gears. 99% of these failures are from pushing it beyond its design limits. They don't just explode for no reason when you back out of your driveway.

The vast majority of people offroading a jeep do moderate trails. The D35 is fine for that. I have a stock D35 with LSD, stock shafts and 33x10.50s. And I've run it with a 5.2 V8 for the past 3 years. I push it fairly hard so I carry spare shafts. Haven't broke yet and if it does I'll fix it and keep going. If I snap a shaft every once in a while, that's an acceptable failure rate to me. I am confident enough in it with the way I drive that I'm going to run the Rubicon next summer.

The D35 is fine for most people and situations. Jeep understood that when they put it in most jeeps. If you're breaking yours constantly then upgrade to something stronger, but there's no reason to try to convince the people that don't break theirs that they need a stronger axle.
1997 TJ, 5.2 Magnum V8, 46RE, NP231, 4:10's.....

I hear voices.
sheriff1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #49
Buschmann
1983 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1680 View Post
If I may offer my opinion, the D35 is actually a pretty good axle and performs well within its design limits. This axle was used in millions of TJs, XJs, YJs and ZJs over a long period of time. This includes all non towing package ZJs with a 5.2 V8. If it was anywhere near as bad as what is regurgitated on the internet, we would see jeeps with broken axles littering the sides of the road daily across North America.

I constantly see posts about the tubes being so weak.....same tubes as a 44. Coke can metal brackets....same brackets as a 44. Ring and pinion junk...tell that to the bunch running S35 kits at Johnson Valley.

The D35 will break. No doubt. Most failures come from flex across the length of the housing. This will snap shafts near the splines or break spider gears. 99% of these failures are from pushing it beyond its design limits. They don't just explode for no reason when you back out of your driveway.

The vast majority of people offroading a jeep do moderate trails. The D35 is fine for that. I have a stock D35 with LSD, stock shafts and 33x10.50s. And I've run it with a 5.2 V8 for the past 3 years. I push it fairly hard so I carry spare shafts. Haven't broke yet and if it does I'll fix it and keep going. If I snap a shaft every once in a while, that's an acceptable failure rate to me. I am confident enough in it with the way I drive that I'm going to run the Rubicon next summer.

The D35 is fine for most people and situations. Jeep understood that when they put it in most jeeps. If you're breaking yours constantly then upgrade to something stronger, but there's no reason to try to convince the people that don't break theirs that they need a stronger axle.
This.

Cept I did break mine and prolly will again LOL
Buschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #50
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And I might break mine. Along with lots of other parts I have broken. And I fix them and keep on going....
1997 TJ, 5.2 Magnum V8, 46RE, NP231, 4:10's.....

I hear voices.
sheriff1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #51
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
Sounds reasonable. Is that why Chevy uses those gear driven lockers?
Make that two, got another one to do this week, and again like the bad rap the 35 gets the g lock being used out of parameters of design these things break left and right.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #52
Buschmann
1983 YJ Wrangler 

Put the spartan locker in last night. ...chirping away as intended. ..no more shifting while turning lol
Buschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #53
wildkardboyz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So. Im so confussed with all the gibberish. . Is it ok to have a locker on a dana 35? If so what would you put on and also a d30 what would you put on there. I just bought the jeep and it has 307 gears ill be opening it up and doing 373 I have off roaded before and know not to hop the tires. stuff goes boom. But I just started taking my boys playing with me and dont plan on doing crazy stuff with them in the rig. But would like to not worry about slipping. Thanks in advance
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #54
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkardboyz View Post
So. Im so confussed with all the gibberish. . Is it ok to have a locker on a dana 35? If so what would you put on and also a d30 what would you put on there. I just bought the jeep and it has 307 gears ill be opening it up and doing 373 I have off roaded before and know not to hop the tires. stuff goes boom. But I just started taking my boys playing with me and dont plan on doing crazy stuff with them in the rig. But would like to not worry about slipping. Thanks in advance
What model year? I only ask because if you're going to lick it and regear it soon. Then there maybe easier options that are cheaper and faster.
But, It depends on your type of off roading. If you are general wheeling then I would limited slip style in the rear and a mini spool up front. Got alot reviews in line about this set up. I have 2 friends that run this set up in xj's here in Florida and they love it
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #55
wildkardboyz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

What model year? I only ask because if you're going to lick it and regear it soon. Then there maybe easier options that are cheaper and faster.
But, It depends on your type of off roading. If you are general wheeling then I would limited slip style in the rear and a mini spool up front. Got alot reviews in line about this set up. I have 2 friends that run this set up in xj's here in Florida and they love it
Well it is a 97 sport 4.0
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #56
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wrangler I take it. Ok if you get the Dana 30 out of a 93-98 grand Cherokee v8 (zj) that will give you high pinion and large joints and 3.73 gears. That'll save you money for sure. And time.
For the rear I'm not sure if s zj rear will bolt up in a tj but if it does then you can get the matching rear with disc breaks.
My suggestion would be to grab a ford 8.8 out if an explorer. You'll have to spend a little time and money converting it but it'll have disc brakes, a limited slip and, 3.73 gears. The 8.8 is stronger than a 35. But if you are easy on your gas pedal and don't pound on any axle too much they'll last.
You can regear what you have, here in Florida that runs about $500 or so per axle. Then a locker in the 35 will cost about $250 to have installed over the locker price.
I paid $150 per axle at a u pull it yard. The front is easy to swap I paid a welder $200 to install my rear. I paid $150 (free shipping ) for the install kit for the 8.8.
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #57
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wrangler I take it. Ok if you get the Dana 30 out of a 93-98 grand Cherokee v8 (zj) that will give you high pinion and large joints and 3.73 gears. That'll save you money for sure. And time.
For the rear I'm not sure if s zj rear will bolt up in a tj but if it does then you can get the matching rear with disc breaks.
Neither a ZJ front or rear is bolt in to a TJ. XJ front and other TJ/LJ axles are only bolt in options.
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #58
wildkardboyz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so what is a high pinion gear. Im new to the jeep world.
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #59
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Neither a ZJ front or rear is bolt in to a TJ. XJ front and other TJ/LJ axles are only bolt in options.
Zj & xj & tj all have same front.
I have put 2 zj fronts into 2 xjs and 1 into a tj.
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #60
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkardboyz View Post
Ok so what is a high pinion gear. Im new to the jeep world.
High pinion is preferred because the pinion gear runs on the top if the ring gear better contact point. And usually a better drive shaft angle.
Low pinion is on the bottom if the ring gear. Lower angle on drive shaft. Which sometimes cause issues with lifts

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.