rear end troube - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > rear end troube

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
Buschmann
1983 YJ Wrangler 

This what I find amusing....everyone says "35 is ****" but nobody says WHAT is **** about it. They are known for leaking? So are Harley's. Look, its the stock axle on a vehicle that people buy and go offroad with. I garuntee if all jeeps came with 44's people would say the same. Search youtube "dana 35 grenade" and you come up with a bunch of videos with 44's blowing out.....everyone starts with the 35 so of course thats what everyone ruins first. This axle was 20 years old and I beat the **** out of it since I bought it. Now the spider gears broke when I was clearly over-doing it. Im beginning to see that everyone just regurgitates what they have heard, but not experienced.

Buschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #32
Buschmann
1983 YJ Wrangler 

And yea...if you put a locker in the 35 and it "grenaded" at 55 its either the locker that was **** or the install. But nothing there points to the entire axle being the culprit.
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #33
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty much everything about it is crap. Weak tubes, shafts, gears, etc...
My friends 35 crapped out because the plug welds wouldn't hold the tube into the housing, and with the flexing of all of that it shredded the spiders. He doesn't wheel his jeep either, just cruises around town on 33s. But it sounds like you really want to run one, so have at it.

And no, if our Jeeps came with Dana 44s we wouldn't say the same thing about them, because they wouldn't cause the same issues unless you beat on them a lot harder or were running over 35s.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also, most of us like to overbuild and get rid of weak components. I didn't break my 35, but I was smart enought to swap in an 8.8, now I'm not worried about it with 33s and a V8.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #35
Buschmann
1983 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I didn't break my 35, but
Haha...exactly...
As previously posted im gunna prolly get my 8.8, but only after I use and abuse/break this locker/axle.

Over use > over build
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #36
Buschmann
1983 YJ Wrangler 

Lets keep in mind that upgrading anything on a 4x4 is just simply moving the weak point to a different part.
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #37
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Doubtful. A lunchbox locker doesnt even require removal of the carrier from the housing.
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
And I do have too much experience with the 35.

When I first started wheeling I thought they were the bomb. I put in a lunch box in one and it lasted 3 trips off road in Florida mud. Towed home that day.

Rebuilt it.

Never made it off road was towing a 4x8 open trailer with a couch on it when the axle grenades at 55 MPH. Had to by a new jeep.
He said he REBUILT it... never said why, and then when he broke it again towing a couch no detail as to what broke.

It broke from something he did, not because he was towing a couch home.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #38
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Pretty much everything about it is crap. Weak tubes, shafts, gears, etc...
My friends 35 crapped out because the plug welds wouldn't hold the tube into the housing, and with the flexing of all of that it shredded the spiders. He doesn't wheel his jeep either, just cruises around town on 33s. But it sounds like you really want to run one, so have at it.

Well sob isn't that ODD, i have straightened many 8.8 housings, and welded the tubes to the center for ODDLY the same reasons you just gave here..
And 8.8's come factory with more plug welds than the D-35

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #39
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschmann View Post
This what I find amusing....everyone says "35 is ****" but nobody says WHAT is **** about it. They are known for leaking? So are Harley's. Look, its the stock axle on a vehicle that people buy and go offroad with. I garuntee if all jeeps came with 44's people would say the same. Search youtube "dana 35 grenade" and you come up with a bunch of videos with 44's blowing out.....everyone starts with the 35 so of course thats what everyone ruins first. This axle was 20 years old and I beat the **** out of it since I bought it. Now the spider gears broke when I was clearly over-doing it. Im beginning to see that everyone just regurgitates what they have heard, but not experienced.
You were playing and loading and unloading a open diff, shocking a tire that keeps losing traction and you broke the spider..

Guess what, that happens to EVERY diff that people do that to, it doesn't make the diff junk and going to explode, it's driver error and you learned what not to do.

I have a 8.5 10 bolt on the lift in a gm p/u, with exactly the same break BUT from doing 1 wheel burnouts, thats another way to kill spiders.
I also have on the other lift a D-44 in a Jeep also with a broken S P I D E R.... that then took out the ring and pin.
Maybe it's just the drivers doing things they shouldn't or not knowing when to lift, but surely it's not the diffs fault.

Otherwise i would be BREAKING D-35s 16 times a day

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #40
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trying to be polite here (noticed your low post count)...
You'll see the difference when you get a real rear axle and can compare. The D35 is really a quarter ton axle at best. The 8.8 will be a half ton axle. You'll notice everything on it is about twice as good. See how the didn't even spend enough money to put a threaded fill plug on them? It's a plastic plug.

I can list every part (c-clips, shafts, carrier, walls, cover, brakes,fill plug,etc) and tell you why it's crap. That would be a waste of time.

BTW: I doubt you were doing anything too intense. Intense is a relative term. Once you get lockers, you'll laugh at what you used to consider "hard core".
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #41
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
just wanna wheel at the big kids table sometimes
Big kids wouldn't spend a cent on a 35 or on an 8.8.
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #42
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Trying to be polite here (noticed your low post count)...
See how the didn't even spend enough money to put a threaded fill plug on them? It's a plastic plug.

I can list every part (c-clips, shafts, carrier, walls, cover, brakes,fill plug,etc) and tell you why it's crap. That would be a waste of time.

BTW: I doubt you were doing anything too intense. Intense is a relative term. Once you get lockers, you'll laugh at what you used to consider "hard core".

OK there are other diffs using rubber and plastic plugs, and most EVERY diff uses C clips.

I've watched stock jeeps with 30" tires do what people with 35's and all kinds of suspension modifications couldn't... Driving is a HUGE part of what goes on
I've watched other trucks do most everything and then they get out and lock the hub's, Same as how often i turn on and off my selectables.

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #43
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with evil on the driver and the way they drive.
Got a guy in our club that bought a curry 9" front and rear. Stock 4.0 xj. Broke a shaft in rear and did in the spiders in the front in the same day. He lives the skinny pedal and believes powering thru is the way to go.
Sorry I wasn't exact in my details earlier. When the 35 was rebuilt it was done at 4 wheel parts in Orlando. $600 and they told me I was waisting my money.
By grenaded I meant the whole carrier failed and the carrier housing itself broke almost in 2.
Question. Is towing bad with a locker? Then why do manufacturers put lockers in trucks with towing capacities of like 15000 pounds or more?
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Everyone has their own points of view, mine just happens to be on the side of the fact a D35 is not the best option for off road equiptment, especially when other stronger axles are avalible and will swap fairly easily.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
I agree with evil on the driver and the way they drive.
Got a guy in our club that bought a curry 9" front and rear. Stock 4.0 xj. Broke a shaft in rear and did in the spiders in the front in the same day. He lives the skinny pedal and believes powering thru is the way to go.
Sorry I wasn't exact in my details earlier. When the 35 was rebuilt it was done at 4 wheel parts in Orlando. $600 and they told me I was waisting my money.
By grenaded I meant the whole carrier failed and the carrier housing itself broke almost in 2.
Question. Is towing bad with a locker? Then why do manufacturers put lockers in trucks with towing capacities of like 15000 pounds or more?

Towing with a locker is a issue because the weight of the trailer when pulling.and stopping can interfere and not allow the locker to disengage.

That issue had to have been something they did to cause the carrier to fail and grenade.

]=Supershafts=[

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.