Rear end is making a roaring noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rear end is making a roaring noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
miiller

Rear end is making a roaring noise

Hey guys I just bought a 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the rear end makes a roaring noise when driving it. It lets up just slightly when you let off the gas. I believe that I have a seal out because grease is leaking where the drive shaft meets the differential. I checked the grease and it needed some but was not what I thought was enough to cause something to go bad. What do you think this could be? Does grease run through the whole axle out to the wheel bearings? Ive got a few more questions but we will leave it at that for now. I'm new here so I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

miiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Heap-O-Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like you have pinion bearings on thier way out thus the leaking seal because the bearings arent holding it centered. i also have a roaring noise but unlike you my rearend roars all time. (not just on decel or accel) my diff guy says its probably the gears going bad. my pinion seal is not leaking and at 108k miles and original seals i would say he is probably right. if i re-gear i am going with an HP d30 front axle a 1993-94 front ds and match the 3.73:1 gears. among other wants to upgrade hummmmm....

Last edited by Heap-O-Jeep; 04-13-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Heap-O-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
miiller

Any idea what those bearings cost?
miiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Heap-O-Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if you have never rebuilt a differential before you dont have a clue on whats involved. there is critical measuring and applying torque to the bearings (which is called pre-load) if you dont have the special tools and the know how then you are in for big trouble if you decide to do it yourself. it, needs to go to a qualified technician at a shop that you know isnt going to rip you off. its going to take inspection and diagnosis of the gears and bearings. its not a simple job as in changing brakes. it can cost you a couple hundred bucks to do the job plus parts. if the bearings are worn bad chances are the gears could be worn bad and/or chipped or broken.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.