Rear end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rear end

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
reppoHnavE

Rear end

92 YJ has broken spider gears and a chipped tooth on the ring. Do I change out the ring and pinion, axle seals, barring and put in lockers at this point? Does anyone recommend putting Dana 44's in rather than keeping 35's? If I change the rears should I change the front? Looking to lift it any suggestions.

reppoHnavE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I'd first ask what your budget and tire size were?

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
reppoHnavE

I am running 31's and it is stock height. I am thinking about a 2.5" lift and maybe going one size up on my tires. As far as budget goes I can probable afford to redo the rear completely. I am sure that I should redo the front end the same way right?
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For an inexpensive repair I would clean out the rear with lots on brake clean and install junk yard spiders while figuring out the replacement. Sadly there is no direct bolt in rear. A good alternate is a Cherokee 8.25 but they dont come stock in your ratio and need pads and shock mounts added. 3.07 or 4.10.will be what you have. Ford 8.8 also needs the pads and shock brackets added. What ratio is yours?

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If it were me, I'd probably swing for a Ford 8.8 rear. Would be really easy to setup on a YJ since you have leafs. You can find them with factory 4.10 gears with a limited slip. Might get lucky and find one with brakes already on it. Lots of aftermarket for a 8.8 if you wanted to add a legit locker. Only thing is you would have to change the front axle to 4.10 (or whatever ratio) to match the rear.

But if your tight on time and money, just throw it together with new seals/bearings/spiders and roll.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
reppoHnavE

Roger that. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.