Rear diff grinding 94 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rear diff grinding 94 yj

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
MapeDogg
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rear diff grinding 94 yj

There is a grinding sound coming from my rear diff when there is no load on the driveline. As long as I am accelerating or decelerating in gear there is no noise. When I reach a cruising speed or coast in neutral there is a fairly loud grinding sound that is worse the higher the speed.

MapeDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapeDogg
There is a grinding sound coming from my rear diff when there is no load on the driveline. As long as I am accelerating or decelerating in gear there is no noise. When I reach a cruising speed or coast in neutral there is a fairly loud grinding sound that is worse the higher the speed.
Pull cover. Inspect. Magnet through oil. Check carrier, pinion, yoke for movement.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

also, if you have posi-trac, make sure you have the correct rear end fluid, and vice versa.. posi lube in a regular non posi rear, or even in a locker, will grind and crunch like crazy..
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
dlutz94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Take the diff cover off and drain it and put new fluids. My buddy had the same problem and he let it go and ended up blowing it.
dlutz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
MapeDogg
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help ya'll! I'll try these suggestions and see what happens.
MapeDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

Had similar problem in my wife's 94 ZJ after I changed the fluid, posi-differential needs an anti slip additive you only get from Dealers
SuperStew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Check your pinion nut, a quick look chock the wheels, and then put it in neutral to relieve any load on the shaft, grab it at the end yoke and see if you have ANY movement up and down or in and out, it should only have some turning movement but NOTHING in any other direction.

If it has any movement other than what it should , either the nut has loosened, or the bearings are in need of replacement.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.