rear axle not aligned on frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > rear axle not aligned on frame

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

rear axle not aligned on frame

I have a 2003 TJ with a 2.5 skyjacker lift. I did not install the lift, but since that time, my son and I have been doing as much maintenance as we can ourselves. We now have a lift in the garage.

Just recently, my kid pulled my transfer case to get it worked on. As I looked at the jeep from the rear, the rear axle does not appear to be centered on the jeep frame. I looked at the track bar and nothing seems to be bent. The lift was put on a couple of years ago, and it's been looked at by several jeep experts.... nobody has ever made a comment that it was off (and I never noticed it before).

I've included some pictures of the wheels (although it doesn't do it justice.. the difference is probably a couple of inches towards the passenger's side).

Any thoughts on what to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

shaft1.jpg   shaft2.jpg   shaft3.jpg   shaft4.jpg  
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have an adjustable rear track bar? If not, that is why the axle is off like that. Its no big deal.
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It is not going to be centered when the suspension is unloaded on the lift. What is it like when on the ground? Sounds like you may need to adjust the track bar.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll read more threads on how to adjust the track bar to compensate for this. Being relatively new to this, I don't know the difference yet between a big deal and no big deal.

Thanks for the advice.
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

As the previous poster pointed out, it's NOT going to look centered while up on the lift. Put it down on the ground and then check it out.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, got it. Thanks again.
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
. . . We now have a lift in the garage. . .
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

At 17, my son crawling on the cold wet floor under cars is a rite of passage, but at 50, been there/done that. It got old for me real quick. What use to be easy (shimmying under a car and back out several times on my back) has now become more of a "roll" than a "shimmy". Couple that with the blackouts that accompany getting back up on your feet after laying for an hour or two on the cold floor and all of a sudden a garage lift is worth the price.

BTW, putting the jeep back on the floor corrected the alignment issue as some of you predicted. Thanks!

Tags
alignment , axle , lift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.