Rear .Axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Rear .Axle

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Curt99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rear .Axle

Hello all,

I just got my Jeep TJ back with a new clutch, a retaining pin blew apart and caused internal damage to other clutch parts so I have a new clutch. $819.00.

My Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 is making a howling noise from the rear end. It gets louder when I accelerate and stops when the truck is stopped. When the engine is revved in neutral the sound is not there and the engine sounds fine. I don't think the transmission, u-joints or drive shaft is causing the noise. Could it be the differential or rear wheel bearings? What the test for the wheel bearings if I pull the diff cover and it's fine? The bottom of the differential case appears wet but not dripping and we have just returned from Moab, UT pulling a small trailer.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt

Last edited by Curt99; 10-05-2008 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: pressed enter by mistake
Curt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
willness33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like bearings to me. Could be on the wheel end, carrier or pinion. Taking a closer look at the bearings and races and feeling for play is the only to tell for sure.
willness33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Curt99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I'll check out the bearings, the fluid level in the differiential is ok and has been changed recently.

Thank you,

Curt
Unread 05-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Curt99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt99
Yes, I'll check out the bearings, the fluid level in the differiential is ok and has been changed recently.

Thank you,

Curt
It's been quite a while but the end of the story is I had the differential rebuilt and all is well. Except the transmission went out and died. Now I have running truck and a few weeks ago I had a complete tuneup with lube and oil change. It runs great now. It still gets 10 mpg though. It had 92,000 on it. I don't think even a new engine will get better milage. That's just what the truck gets.
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Does the rear driveshaft have a center bearing? If so then start there.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

He got it fixed already.

Sounds right though, my father-in-law's Ram 1500 had the same howling noise from the rear and one night when the Jeep was down I borrowed it to run into town for pizza. On the way back howling turned into grinding and forward motion stopped. Pulled it apart and found a bunch of bearing rollers loose in the rear axle.

He had just driven it from Ontario down to Florida and back and this was its first trip from the house since he got back.

Kevin
Unread 05-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
Curt99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaverly
He got it fixed already.

Sounds right though, my father-in-law's Ram 1500 had the same howling noise from the rear and one night when the Jeep was down I borrowed it to run into town for pizza. On the way back howling turned into grinding and forward motion stopped. Pulled it apart and found a bunch of bearing rollers loose in the rear axle.

He had just driven it from Ontario down to Florida and back and this was its first trip from the house since he got back.

Kevin
Yeah it's a real pain but I was lucky to save the ring and pinion gears. The rest was toast. Then later when I was enjoying the truck the transmission went out. It has 97K on it, I checked today. After a tuneup it runs smooth and is very comfortable. With gas prices the long distance towing of my rv trailer is about out though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.