Re-gearing my 1991 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Re-gearing my 1991 yj

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
jrayjeepcj2a
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Re-gearing my 1991 yj

I have a 4 or a 4.5 inch suspension lift with a 3 inch body lift. I am currently running 35x12.5 pro comp all terrains on the stock axles/gears. I havent really researched it much, i figured someone on hear could give me a hand. What kind of gear ratio would be best with the set up i have (4cyl amc 150, stock transmission, etc.). Also, my four wheel drive will engage into 4 low, however the front axle is not catching to rotate the tires. I really have no knowledge of the mechanical components inside the differential or the transfer case but im gotta learn somehow. If anybody has any advice for me that would be great!

jrayjeepcj2a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

As far as your re-gearing I'd go with 4.88's in the Dana 30 & 35. That's the lowest gear set those axles can accommodate. Factory has 4.10's which is good for stock and possibly up to a 31 or 32" tire, but it gets Very difficult to maintain speed on the highway. You'll probablly want to look into a Dana 44 rear or a Ford 8.8 out of an explorer. They'll hold up better than the Dana 35 with the increased weight and stress of the 35" tires.

For the transfer case/ front drive shaft issue, the shift fork collar on the axle disconnect might not be fully engaging? There's a cover plate on the back right side of the front axle, this is the disconnect. If they loose vacuum or proper connection they will not function properly. Fixes are (least expensive to most$$): junkyard late model Cherokee or 97+ Wrangler passenger side axle shaft, posi-lock or warn chromoly cad delete shafts. Hope this helps.
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Go to the YJ tech section and read the FAQ.
All your questions are covered there, as well as the next 25 you were thinking of asking...

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
jrayjeepcj2a
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, i appreciate it, hopfully this will help, im currently trying to graduate from college so hopefully i'll have some time to look into your advice. i really have no income so funds come and go as they please, haha
jrayjeepcj2a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well the Nutter is pretty much free! Good luck with your build!
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.