Re-gear and ARB question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Re-gear and ARB question

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Re-gear and ARB question

This question is for all the gear experts:

When re-gearing and going with ARB's at the same time will I run into any unusual problems I wouldn't have if they were done separately?

In the next month or so I will be getting a HP30 from the junkyard and getting ARB's front and rear. At the same time I am going to re-gear to 4.88 (AW4 auto and 35's). Since I live in the middle of no where and my TJ isn't a DD I'm going to do it myself. I figure I'll start with the HP30 since it's not going into the jeep until it's complete and if that works well I'll pull the D44 and get it done. I've got most of the tools I need and what I don't have I know a guy who does.

I figure I have at least a month before I start getting parts so I have been reading up like crazy and I have the basic concept down. I'm just trying to work out the little details that can screw up a project.

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
CJ8Ted
1985 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481 View Post
When re-gearing and going with ARB's at the same time will I run into any unusual problems I wouldn't have if they were done separately?
No expert here, but I think it will better to do them together. You can drill and tap the air hole, as well as grind the D44 oil return slot without the pinion installed so cleaning will be easyer.
Also while the chunk is full of metal chips I would vent the chunk in the D44 and run a oil return tube from the axle tubes to the chunk to avoid pukeing oil out the breather but the choice is yours.

Ted
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You won't have to pull axles twice, drain fluid twice, set backlash twice, and seal it back up twice.
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses guys. Hopefully I will be getting everything in the next month. I was just hopeful ARB would have their free compressor deal before I buy. I already have on board air but I like their compressor better than mine.

The biggest problem I see is maintaining my patience will trying to get everything set up. My wife is laughing at me because I'm making a spread sheet for parts, tools, set up attempts, etc. She says I'm like a kid making a Christmas list.

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.